Anyone find it impossible to sell things?

xrleroyx

• Members

I just sold an SRV strat - less than I wanted, but more than my minimal acceptable price so it worked out.  I listed for 3 weeks on ebay with no luck, and finally a buyer contacted me - turns out he lived a few blocks away.  He came over, tried it out, paid paypal and took the guitar home that day.

I sold four guitars a year ago to fund my Suhr - I sold two for about what I wanted, and two for quite a bit less than I was hoping.  It's definitely a buyers market out there.  I wasn't playing those guitars anways, so I didn't mind.  If I wanted to actually make money on them I doubt I would have been able to sell them.

• Members

I'm doing a gear purge, and I'm having some success in moving guitars and amps.  I'm lucky being in a big craigslist market.  Still, I had an asking price and my secret "selling price" - both of which I thought were sellable.  I did have some lowballers email me right off the bat.  One was a used guitar store in Chicago who offered me about half my asking price. 

I'm selling two guitars on ebay right now.  They both have issues but are playable.  Ebay is better than cl for these kind of deals.  Photograph the dents and dinks and describe them well, then expect a lower selling price.  I priced both with a BIN of my sellable asking price, then started the auction at about 25% less.  If they sell for the 25% discount I'll still live with it.  A reasonable BIN pretty much insures success and the buyer should realize that the seller is not a gouger.

Less than perfect guitars suck on craigslist.  The tirekickers come out and start negotiating discounts dink by dink.  They suck.

• Members

I just sold 5 of my guitars last week on eBay. Sold pair of Koa Fenders (Strat & Tele) and made a couple hundy. Even money on my Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus that I thought I bought right a couple years back, even money on a Squire VM 70's Strat, made a hundy on a 50th Anniversary MIM Golden Strat. No problem selling if you are asking realistic prices. All minty too.

• Members

Even after the hefty fees that eBay charges and shipping, chances are you'll make more profit and sell quicker on eBay if it is a boutique item. Some tips are that you should never, ever use a retail store for shipping. If you need something packaged, just take it to a FedEx store and ask them to package and weigh it for you but then ship it yourself. FedEx Ground is very cheap if you ship online. Retail stores charge so much that you'll probably save money by just buying a digital scale. Make sure it can support the weight. I have a 75 pound scale but I don't have any 310 amps which probably reach that weight limit.

Also you can use Buy It Now with Best Offer and have a system for auto denying lowballers.

• Members

honeyiscool wrote:

Also you can use Buy It Now with Best Offer and have a system for auto denying lowballers.

I do that, I find you're more likely to get a fair price that way. Sometimes you get more than you expected with an auction but that relies on two or more people really wanting something...

Archived