12 string advice: Danelectro or Dean

texas twelve

• Members

I have played Guild acoustic guitars since the early 70's, but I want a 12 string elelctric.  I don't have the money or the desire for a Rick cuz the nut room is so crowded, and I am used to an acoustic.  I am leaning toward a Danelectro 12 or a Dean Boca 12. 

If anyone has any first or second hand info about these two guitars, please give me some advice.  I appreciate any help anyone can give.

I am open to other suggestions, but don't to spend a decent down payment for a car for an electric 12 string.

Thanks again, and I appreciate any help.

• Members

I've played the Dean Boca at shops, and it's pretty good.  I actually prefer the Jay Turser Hawk 12.  It does the jingle jangle quite well, and it has some nice switching options.  They should be all over eBay for pretty low prices.

• Members

I had a Boca for awhile.... sort of wish I hadn't sold it.  Very well built, nice neck, sounded OK, and fit a Les Paul case.  On the down side, it was quite neck heavy, and the bridge humbucker was a pretty hot wind, and I found it rather useless.  

• Members

lz4005 wrote:

The Dean and the Dano are both good guitars for the money.

Depends what you want to sound like. Lipsticks and humbuckers are very different animals.

How about lipstick humbuckers :p

boca

I've been gigging this one regularly for the past 4+ years.  I added a coil split (on a seperate 3-way switch) along with the new pickups (GFS) and can get a pretty wide range of tones out of it.  My only real gripe is that it's rather neck heavy; even after installing a strap button on the top horn and using a leather strap, I still fight it.

Archived