Phase 1 complete. Have I gone insane?

kit_strong

• Members

GreatDane wrote:

Crazy... what do you plan on carrying for stock? Hit me up. If I can help, I will. Best of luck! Things are still tough out there. So go into this eyes wide open.

Between Bill's Music, Guitar Center, and Washinton Music Center all the main stream stuff is covered in spades so I'm going to be focusing on the growing popularity of the other guys.  Your Reverend, Fano, Hanson, etc... 

I don't want to reveal too much just yet and jynx it but I  do have a couple of good hooks to help get things off the ground.  

Part of the plan involves buying and rennovating the building I'll be setting up in so right now the next big hurdle is getting the loan secured but things look promising on that end.

• Members

I really admire your bravery to start a shop. It seems like small guitar shops are falling off the face of the earth, at least in the part of Houston I live in. I think it's awesome that you want to stock lesser known brands, but you definitely need some staples in there. However, I've heard it can be a bitch to stock Gibson. The little shop that used to be in my neighborhood couldn't afford Gibsons because Gibson was pretty picky on how their dealers operate. Gibson required them to stock an unreasonable amount of guitars for a small shop, and to display them in a very particular way.

I think small guitar shops are really important, they really help get kids into playing guitar and appreciating good music. When I was a kid the little shop by my house was my favorite place in the whole world. It was a place I could really fit in and have a productive interest in, and it also kept me out of a lot of trouble. I learned so much from the owner there, about guitars and sometimes just how to be cool lol.

Best of luck to your business, I wish I could stop by and check out the shop, I'm sure I'd be leaving with a brand new Hanson.

• Members

You have to have a brick-and-mortar store open (and successful) for a year in order to apply to stock Fender. I know this from asking them. I once had a great idea to sell Fenders and Partscasters online, thinking I could get stock from Fender. Nope. SuperSix is right, as far as Gibson goes. My local Sam Ash had to stop carrying Gibson for a good while due to their ridiculous rules for carrying their stock.

Archived