The Japanese Make the Best Metal Guitars

docjeffrey

• Members

I'm not saying anything new here, obviously. I'm just creating an excuse to post a photo that I processed using HDR toning (high dynamic range). This one is a composite of 3 photos with different exposure values and then processed in Photoshop. It's a very difficult guitar to shoot because of the colors in the body. I'm gonna try a few more later.

esp1.jpg

• Members

I disagree.

Neal Moser, Sal Gonzales, Mike Shannon, Grover Jackson, John Suhr, Jol Danzig, etc... make guitars that a lot of metal guys have used and are light years ahead of anything ESP is selling.

ESP makes a nice production guitar for a relativly inexpensive price.

It's kind of like I used to think Porsche made the most fun car to drive then I moved up to a Mercedes AMG SL63 and my mind changed.

That being said, this is the best metal guitar I have:

261214_553619834672591_1551988974_n.jpg

• Members

Light years ahead? What does that mean? I'm not talking about boutique makers here, by the way. I should have mentioned that in my original post. Once you get into custom builders, you're into a different thing altogether. I think that the tradition of pulling a regular production guitar off the wall and making it your own is something that so many great players have done over the years.

• Members

What makes it a metal guitar? The EMG's?

I've owned 3 guitars that I would consider "metal".

Fender HRR60's Strat - MIJ - 60's styled strat with hot Dimarzio in the bridge and a recessed Floyd.

Kramer Pacer Special - MIA - dual humbucker rock machine with early FR, black on black

Kramer Focus 6000 - MIJ - I believe these were actually made by ESP. Horrible pickups, but I threw EMG's in there. Awesome flush mounted Floyd.

So, I would conclude that the Japanese make very good metal guitars, yes. The best? Not IMO.

• Members

I disagree but i understand your sentiment the japanese are probably the best at making shred/metal type on a mass production scale. A mid price ibanez or esp is an outstanding guitar for the money but take a high end ibanez or esp and put it alongside a usa jackson or bc rich and there is very little between them.

• Members

Japan seems to make good everything lol....For metal tho, my first pick (aside from my Warmoth, the greatest stringed instrument in the history of for ever 'n ever :D) would be either a USA Charvel San Dimas or USA Jackson with EMG's....

Here's the San Dimas I USED to have....

https://tools.cisco.com/ServiceRequestTool/query/

Or the USA Jackson RR w/EMG's which I've yet to own ;)...

Jackson-Custom-Shop-RR1-EMG-TB-2.jpg

• Members

Ive seen Hetfiled playing an LTD. Im sure there are tons of custom builders in Japan that make fantastic "metal" guitars. DOcJeff is right, anything custom is almost always gonna be better than off the rack. As far as production guitars go, DOcJeffrey simply said that he thinks Japanese companies make better "metal" guitars than anyone else. Thats not really an outrageous opinion. A lot of progfessional metal guys agree with him. Metallica, Slayer, uhh. . that guy from Children of Sodom. If I was more into metal I could name a ton more. Jackson, BCRich, Kramers, ESP, Ibanez-they all make good stuff, its just a matter of personal preference.

So what exactly defines a "metal" guitar. Hot pickups? thin necks? Double locking trems? Pointy body shapes?

• Members

I define a "metal" guitar as one that is pointy and has humbuckers. These are the ones obviously marketed to metal players. Yes, you can play any style on any instrument, you can do the chugga chugga on a Tele, blah blah blech. Some labels are simply useful; they're not always derogatory. Some LP types are also marketed to metal guys, and then they would be called a "metal" guitar.

• Members

Not sure what HDR software you're using but you have the blending turned up the tiniest bit too high. It almost looks totally natural, which is how a good HDR shot should look. I'm being picky because I know what to look for; it's a very good bit of processing overall. Just ease up and maybe add a bit more contrast.

• Members

Not to offend anyone (and perhaps it's my own ignorance), but active EMGs are just such fat and powerful pickups, I really think you could put them into anything and have a metal guitar.  I mean a friend did as much with an MIM Strat and it sounds ah, well, extremely metally.  I believe it may be one case where that cinder block guitar might even sound right.  So, if my assumptions are correct, then it just comes down to playing preferences concerning the feel of the neck etc.  I mean sort me out if I'm wrong here, but PLEASE be gentle, I have feelings too.

PS I don't know anything in drop D.

Archived