What do people think about bolt-on 24.75" scale guitars?

danswon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by danswon View Post
I have very little experience with this configuration in a guitar. What are your thoughts?
Just got this mahogany Peavey Patriot: 24.75"; bolt-on, micro-tilt; single coil Super Ferrites, fat bridge. Astonishingly GREAT guitar!
peaveyPatriot.jpg

Greg

• Members
Interesting. I was thinking, it's either the best of both worlds or it's lacking in every department.

I know there's a lot more to a guitar than just the neck joint...
I'd say neither. Neck joint and scale length are just two of many factors that determine how a guitar sounds and feels.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Flatspotter View Post
I like 'em.

LPSbody7.jpg

LPSbodyback.jpg
Is that a Hamer?

I think I might have assumed that a 24.75" bolt-on guitar would not be desirable because they're often the cheapest guitars, ie. entry-level Epiphones. The fact that more costly Epiphones (and certain other brands) have set necks kind of gives the impression that set necks are better for a 24.75" guitar, but I guess that's not necessarily the case.

• Members
Is that a Hamer?

I think I might have assumed that a 24.75" bolt-on guitar would not be desirable because they're often the cheapest guitars, ie. entry-level Epiphones. The fact that more costly Epiphones (and certain other brands) have set necks kind of gives the impression that set necks are better for a 24.75" guitar, but I guess that's not necessarily the case.
Interesting.

I have never much thought about the possibility of 24.75" bolt-on's being cheaper quality but that does some what make sense if you are looking into the cheaper epi's / gibson clones.

I really got into all the strat style 24.75" bolt-on's that were happening in the late 80's/90's that makers like Jackson/Charvel were making. Most of those guitars were not cheap though.

Archived