Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Japanese make the best Acoustics...

...for under a Grand. 

Now that shouldn't piss anybody off should it?

Seriously though, I've gotten some of my best deals ever on old Japanese (80's and before) acoustics.  I had an Aspen from the 70's that was the most detailed Martin copy imaginable, even had a Brazilian board - played and sounded brilliantly (very jangly).  Unloaded that one before the refret.  Kept a 69 Alvarez which has a brooding haunting tone.  Really great guitars IMO if you can find them.     

"Prayer is when you talk to God. Meditation is when you're listening. Playing the piano ['guitar'] allows you to do both at the same time." -Kelsey Grammer

Well, I like my Takamine...
    dharmaforone.bandcamp.comListen to my music and such.Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

• wankdeplank
      wankdeplank commented
      Editing a comment

Yes indeed, hard to beat a good Tak. 

Now I don't know if there's anything to this but I've been told that Japanese acoustics are by and large janglier whereas  American makes give you better bass response. 

It depends on a whole lot of factors, with geography being one of the insignificant ones. I'd never be able to guess the country of manufacture in a blind test.

I understand why people like to generalise to make things fit in their heads, but they all sound and play different.

Comment

I am very happy with my 1973 S Yairi Model 9100 2071_1060634845469_4781_n.jpg and early 1970s Alvarez OOO-sized acoustic.  I used to have a Japanese Takamine that was the same size as the Alvarez and had a Martin-style headstock logo.  It sounded good and looked sharp.  But it didn't sound as good as the Alvarez.

Comment

Working...
      X