RIP Chi Cheng

GreatDane

• Members

from radio.com:

v

Despite recent signs of improvement in his condition, Deftones bassist Chi Cheng passed away unexpectedly early Saturday morning.

The 42-year old Sacramento-based musician had been in a coma-like semi conscious state since a 2008 car accident left him badly injured. Not wearing his sat belt, Cheng was ejected from the vehicle during a high-speed head-on collision.

Cheng's story was told in a 2011 documentary created by POD members and The Whosoevers in an effort to raise money and awareness.

According to a statement posted to oneloveforchi.com, Cheng's mother (Mom J) said his heart had stopped. Mom J shared the family's sentiments. "This is the hardest thing to write to you, she began. "Your love and heart and devotion to Chi was unconditional and amazing. I know that you will always remember him as a giant of a man on stage with a heart for every one of you."

Cheng was taken to the emergency room and at 3:00 a.m. today (Saturday, April 14) after his heart suddenly stopped. He left this world with me singing songs he liked in his ear."

For those that wish to share their thoughts of Chi, his family is encouraging fans to direct messages directly to the onelove website.

A candlelight vigil will be held in Sacramento

• Members

I was sadder than I thought I'd be when I first heard the news.

I like the Deftones, not enough to pass as a fan, but I do like them. "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)" is the song which intoduced me to them. I heard it from my high school best friend, who was a metalhead. We had different musical tastes, but he played it in the car one day and I was blown away. It was like listening to the Smashing Pumpkins... only heavier, I remember thinking.

I never really cared for the other nu-metal bands they're generally linked with, but the Deftones are different. Kind of a like a metal band who also listened to a lot of the bands I listened to too, and that's what makes their music interesting to me. The only album I have is White Pony, which is quite good. My favorite songs of theirs are "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)," "Change (In the House of Flies)" and "Knife Party." When the woman starts screaming during the latter, it gets me everytime.

Unofficial fan-made video

RIP, Chi.

• Members

It's a lot to read, but I thought the One Week // One Band entry on the Deftones was a worthwhile read and it gave me a lot of insight into the band which helped me appreciate their music even more. 

And speaking to my previous point of them being influenced by some of my favorite bands, I like these covers they've done of songs by

and the Smiths.

• Members

Deftones guitarist Stephen Carpenter paid tribute to Chi Cheng who died this weekend after he had been in a coma or semi-conscious state following a 2008 car accident.

Carpenter took to the band's Facebook page with the following message on behalf of the band: "There are so many things I can say, and yet at this moment, none of it matters or compares to the loss everyone feels.

"There will be a hole in our lives where Chi once was. But that will be filled everyday with all of our love and memories we all have in our heart. He will always be here because of love. It's time we all give our love and best, and do our best to love. Especially ourselves, Chi would want that for everyone.

"All our healing will begin with love. I love you, Chi.

Stephen, for Deftones"

Archived