Best UFO album with Schenker?

chimi

• Members

So i have literally worn out the album Phenomenon by UFO over the last two years. I think there is some amazing songs on there.

This album single handedly has kick started my interest in classic rock again (grew up on Zeppelin, Stones, etc.) but after years of being into stuff like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains this album made me realize there was more to that era of music than just Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Purple.

I have the entire UFO discography and have been listening to a lot of stuff but not in any order. I was wondering outside of Phenomenon what albums should i REALLY listen to from these guys that are just as good if not better? Being 25 i just don't have a point of reference for the band, all i know is that they have broken up and re-untied with Schenker and have had multiple lineup changes over the years.

Not sure what the 'classic' UFO era is. Although i do hear Vinnie Moore is a great player.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Saw them live 8 times in the late 70's to 80's !!!! One of my favorite bands !!! I actually like all their stuff !!! But if I was on a "Stranded Island" , and only one LP, then Strangers in the Night (though its a double live). I wish these young bands would play stuff like this !!!

• Members

"Strangers in the night" is one of the best live albums of all time. No question. My favourite studio UFO album with Schenker is "Lights Out", but my favourite UFO album overall is "The Wild, The Willing and the Innocent"..just a superb album with no filler at all, and Paul Chapman plays really well on it.

• Members

I dunno man, that doesn't do anything for me. It sounds very generic. The best part for me was the little organ bit at the beginning.

Man, watch the end of the "Lights Out" video above. Listen to the song and the leads this man plays. Very articulate, and they just fit the song. Not this look at me shred {censored} you see alot of lead guys do today.

• Members

I've never understood the fascination and acclaim that UFO seems to invoke as of late. Some decent players, One well above average guitar player, and not one song I would call great, and only a handful I would even call good, and most I would not go out of my way to even listen to and even more than that, that I would change the channel on. I am very familiar with UFO. Started Covering their stuff in bars as early as 1980. Even back then, I considered them an ok band at best and never understood the fascination that some of my bandmates and musician friends seemed to have with them. Yes, it always seemed to me that musicians were the ONLY people I have ever known, then or now, that even knew who they were, much less liked them.

PLEASE don't take offense to this post, I mean no disrespect.

I've never seen them as anything more than average as a band as a while, and wonder what others see as being so great with them?

I really am curious to know?

I do think they have a cool name though.

• Members

I've never understood the fascination and acclaim that UFO seems to invoke as of late. Some decent players, One well above average guitar player, and not one song I would call great, and only a handful I would even call good, and most I would not go out of my way to even listen to and even more than that, that I would change the channel on. I am very familiar with UFO. Started Covering their stuff in bars as early as 1980. Even back then, I considered them an ok band at best and never understood the fascination that some of my bandmates and musician friends seemed to have with them. Yes, it always seemed to me that musicians were the ONLY people I have ever known, then or now, that even knew who they were, much less liked them.

PLEASE don't take offense to this post, I mean no disrespect.

I've never seen them as anything more than average as a band as a while, and wonder what others see as being so great with them?

I really am curious to know?

I do think they have a cool name though.

Non taken. Its all good. I like "The Sweet" too and alot of people hate them. I personaly think Guns N Roses are overrated and that would be blasphemy to many. But I do like a few of their tunes. I think for me its UFO's overal sound I like and I do like the musicianship. They are a "guys" band. You would see mostly guys at a UFO concert in the days. Sort of like Rush or Blue Oyster Cult. I just like UFO's style of playing.

• Members

Yes, it always seemed to me that musicians were the ONLY people I have ever known, then or now, that even knew who they were, much less liked them.

Yep...musicians and the people who are REALLY in to music - like many great acts, that demographic is where they get their appreciation. Excellent band with a fantastic guitar player.

I could name ten fantastic acts like that off the top of my head.

• Members

listen to Mechanix and the albums they made with Paul CHapman.

That dude is as good as Schenker in my book.

Shit no!

MS was my inspiration to start playing the guitar. All the 70s Schenker is great. Scorpions Lonesome Crow is AWESOME!

How dare you mention Chapman in the same thread as MS?:mad:

Archived