iRig & Amplitube...what a RIPOFF!!!

steve_man

• Members

I've been interested in these since they came out.  I figured it would be a sweet setup and would easily fit in my guitar case.  Guitar Center had them on sale for $24.99, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Came home, and went to download Amplitube.  Uh-oh...there's a "free" version, and a paid version at $20.  Opted for free to try things out.  Seriously?  $25 for a cable plug in, that includes NO software price reduction?  The free versions of Amplitube are an absolute joke.  One amp model...that's it.  And, to top it off, if you want to buy Amplitube for your iPad, then use it on you iPhone...yup...you get to PAY FOR IT AGAIN! 

So, I tried the Peavey veresion of Amplitube, "Amped"...same deal...you pay for each effect, and each amp.  LAME!  It works with Garage Band, but has noise issues...

This iRig seems REALLY noisy.  Tons of noise...and static that sounds like there's a bad cable in the mix.  Changed cables...no change in problem.  Am I doing something wrong?  Probably gonna take it back for a refund.  $25 for the iRig, plus $40+ to get the software on my phone/ipad.  Not worth the money, IMO.

• Members

Take it back and get Jam Up Pro. Yes, if you want more amps and effects you have to buy them just like every other program. That's just the way it is. You can use it with the iRig but i have heard people have had problems with it.

Jam UP has their own plug you can buy through Amazon. I think the free version has 4 amps models you can use along with a looper and a trainer. It works with audiobus and garageband. IMO it's the best one out there.

• Members

GarageBand has decent enough modeling.

You need to get an interface that works digitally, IMO. All those things that try to take over the mic input just don't work right. There are a lot of options on that front. Apogee Jam is the best, IMO. It's a little pricey but it can be used on a Mac as well.

• Members

steve_man wrote:

I've been interested in these since they came out.  I figured it would be a sweet setup and would easily fit in my guitar case.  Guitar Center had them on sale for $24.99, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Came home, and went to download Amplitube.  Uh-oh...there's a "free" version, and a paid version at $20.  Opted for free to try things out.  Seriously?  $25 for a cable plug in, that includes NO software price reduction?  The free versions of Amplitube are an absolute joke.  One amp model...that's it.  And, to top it off, if you want to buy Amplitube for your iPad, then use it on you iPhone...yup...you get to PAY FOR IT AGAIN! 

So, I tried the Peavey veresion of Amplitube, "Amped"...same deal...you pay for each effect, and each amp.  LAME!  It works with Garage Band, but has noise issues...

This iRig seems REALLY noisy.  Tons of noise...and static that sounds like there's a bad cable in the mix.  Changed cables...no change in problem.  Am I doing something wrong?  Probably gonna take it back for a refund.  $25 for the iRig, plus $40+ to get the software on my phone/ipad.  Not worth the money, IMO.

The iRig works through the microphone input which was never meant for anything beyond voice for phone calls. It's noisy and when I tried it out with any gain it howled.

For not much more this is a HUGELY superior product.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MobileIn?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLaf6s-F1LYCFYyi4Aod-1kAMA

• Members

steve_man wrote:

C'mon bro, jailbreak and get it for free. 

• Members

GilmourD wrote:

steve_man wrote:

The iRig works through the microphone input which was never meant for anything beyond voice for phone calls. It's noisy and when I tried it out with any gain it howled.

They need to make this compatable for the I5 and I would get this for sure.

• Members

GilmourD wrote:

steve_man wrote:

I agree 100%. The Line 6 product is superior

• Members

I have an Apple 30 pin to Lightning adapter for my standard Apple 30 pin/USB cables. As of this version of the Line 6 software, It does NOT work. That being said, the adapter is suppose to allow all functionality to pass through. So I can only figure that its the software that cannot see the adapter.

Archived