tools.

GreatDane

• Members

i love guitars.  i thought i'd share some (hack) pics i took earlier this morning of three guitars i've been using a lot recently; a 2008 PRS Hollowbody II with splittable 57/08s, a 1997 Gibson '57 Reissue Goldtop with stock '57 Classics, and a 2003 Tyler Studio Elite HD "Burning Water".

v

i bought the PRS earlier this year.  it was around the time of my birthday (February).  i saw it online and was taken by the simple elegance of it.  i decided to treat myself.  classic black, no frills, no bling - a perfect "sister" to my other PRS hollowbody that is it's visual opposite (double "10", birds, piezo).  the PRS hollowbody II model is one of a few "perfect" guitar models, IMO.  the thought of a splittable set of 57/08s really appealed to me as well (modded by the previous owner; notice the mini-toggle - he did a good job).  Its currently strung with .11s, and they play like .10s.

v

The goldtop i've had the longest of the three pictured.  i bought it used maybe around 2004 or early 2005 and then proceeded to play a couple dozen shows with it.  it's one of three guitars that i had in regular live rotation right up until my first child was born over four years ago.  it's the kind of guitar that i feel i can play anything i want on.  it doesn't hold me back at all.  the neck is very full and shaped perfectly for my hand with no drag.  the heaviest of the three pictured, this one weighs in at 9 lbs 4 oz.  even though it has a gorgeous clean sound, i love to play hard on this one.  i catch myself punching chords and really digging into notes when playing leads.  it resonates wonderfully - it's even enjoyable to play unplugged.

v

the Tyler i've had for almost a year (in July).  i had always wanted to try one, and managed to find a used one for a very good price.  people seem to hate the headstock aesthetic - i get that.  but just try one and then you'll know.  i am not ashamed to say i like the look of the headstock.  yup, true story.  but this story is about performance.  i remember being blown away when i first plugged it in and started playing.  there is something about how Tyler does their necks that i love - the edges are rolled for a great worn in feeling, the frets are big, but not too big, the shape and depth feel like a Gibson LP to me, and the compound radius is a very nice touch.  the body is chambered, which adds something to the sound of the guitar that i can't really describe except to say that i love it.  it weighs 6 lbs 11 oz.  - almost a pound lighter than my strat.  i had abandoned strat-type guitars about twenty years earlier, but this one is my kind of guitar.  it can do both vintage and contemporary tones very sincerely (if not a little on the hot side - careful with that boosted signal!).  i will have another Tyler (if i ever find another great deal or become rich).

v

it's funny, i wouldn't consider any of these three my #1 if forced to pick, but candidly i don't think i have a single guitar that i value above all the others in my collection.  i have been fortunate enough to put together a fun group of guitars that blow me away when i play each of them.  it's taken a lot of trial and error to get to this point, but i'm really happy with what i have and don't take any of it for granted.

thanks for letting me rant.  please share your pics and stories!  doesn't need to be about your #1 (assuming you can even pick only one).

• Members

My tools:

My bluegrass guitar is a D28 I bought new in 1985. Pictured here with my 04 RB 3 Mastertone

photo DSCF0313-1.jpg

My "other kinds of music" acoustic is a $250 OM style Recording King with a Baggs soundhole.

photo 111210-101510.jpg

My gig getting tool is my upright bass. Its backup is a cheap SX P/J strung w flats.

basses photo 110928-142447.jpg

As far as electric guitars, I've got a closet full of em, none super expensive. They are more like toys for my pleasure,  but any of them could be an adequate tool for the job, depending on the style of music and the phase of the moon. 

Lets see, theres a couple of partscaster teles

photo Rogue1_zps5bc26719.jpg

An Electromatic 5120-stock except for the Compton bridge

photo 013.jpg

A stock 1999/00 ash MIM strat

photo 120201-123908.jpg

An Epi Explorer that I tricked out w a Bigsby. My dream is to someday play this in a country band at the VFW. Or maybe an instrumental surf band playing Metallica covers, either way its pretty cool.

photo 120201-123657.jpg

My trusty old Carvin DC100 I bought new in 1983

photo Picture13-2.jpg

And a Chandler lap, pictured here w my Regal square neck

photo DSCF0316.jpg

Theres probably another one I've forgotten about. And theres a couple of partscasters yet to be completed. Plus some other acousticy stuff.

Little Guys photo 110928-141445.jpg

I should probably whittle some of this down, I'm running out of room.

But wheres the fun in that?

• Members

Ratae Coritanorum wrote:

I love the PRS, one of the few I do, you could put a Gold Top on a dog's penis and I'd love it, but the Tyler needs to go to jail.

haha!  i wish everyone felt the way you do about Tyler so they'd be cheaper and i could get another one (or two).

• Members

Thanks. The Christmas tune is just me goofing off and showing my jack of all trades master of none skills. I think you can hear the bass ok with some decent speakers. Have no idea why the 1st 2 CD tracks from my ITunes don't seem to work on the Divshare site. I either did something wrong pulling them from my ITunes Library, or theres some kind of file compatibility problem. Maybe you can give me an idea how to share these tracks. Much better players of banjo, etc than me, but the old Kay drives the train and sounds good. Was recorded in a professional studio and even professionally mastered.

• Members

Perhaps not considered tools in the traditional sense since I rarely play out, I consider my guitars tools of relaxation and enjoyment. The fact is; there are few things I enjoy more after a long work day than coming home, plugging in and losing myself for an hour in just playing. 

I have a few more guitars, but these are the ones in constant play rotation.  

First up: my Les Pauls.  The honeyburst is a 2001 LP standard which was actually purchased off on GreatDane a year and a half ago and has been my go to guitar since then.  I had dreamed about a Slash/Page inspired burst since I first decided to start playing and this one fit the bill in my opinion.  

The goldtop is a 2011 LP Traditional pro with P90's that was recently purchased and it is pretty much everything I wanted in a P90 guitar.  

Gibson Les Pauls

Next up: my MJT strat.  This guitar is a little bit of an interesting one, a mutt in terms of guitar parts that to me goes up against every single customshop, vintage, American, Mexican, and Japanese strat I've ever had the chance to play.  

The neck came from my very first guitar ever purchased, a 1992 MIM Squier strat that I was my only guitar for the better part of 5 years.  It's been worn in by playing over the years and just feels like home to me.  The body is a MJT finished alder strat body that Mark finished to match photos of a 1960 strat that I had fell in love with after playing it at the Chicago Music Exchange.  The hardware is all from Callaham, electronics from RS Guitarworks and pickups from Klein pickups.  

One thing to note is the body was finished closet classic and all the wear is from a lot of play over the last 3 years of ownership. 

MJT stratocaster

Archived