SX, Douglas Agile - what gives?

elvisart

• Members

That depends. Are you expecting an above average for the price entry level guitar or are you expecting something that competes with Fender Custom Shop models and Gibson Historics?

For the most part, get the guitar, slap in some GFS or used Duncan/Dimarzio/Fender/Gibson pickups and probably a new nut and most of them are pretty enjoyable guitars still for less than what a Squier or Epi would cost new. Some of the higher end Agiles are probably decent in stock form.

• Members

That depends. Are you expecting an above average for the price entry level guitar or are you expecting something that competes with Fender Custom Shop models and Gibson Historics?

For the most part, get the guitar, slap in some GFS or used Duncan/Dimarzio/Fender/Gibson pickups and probably a new nut and most of them are pretty enjoyable guitars still for less than what a Squier or Epi would cost new. Some of the higher end Agiles are probably decent in stock form.

this pretty much sums it up. :thu:

SX and Douglas won't exceed any MIA Fenders or the like, but you should be surprised for the price.

• Members

I really like the 3 sx's I have... 2 of them I bought used for under $100, and upgraded w/pickups, switches, nuts, etc... they play great (great neck profile and frets).

That said, you get what you pay for. Be prepared to do some work to make players out of 'em.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

SX, Douglas: Chinese cheapies made to relatively rigid specs. Comparable to Squiers, low-end Yamahas, etc.

Agile: Korean-made guitars built exclusively by contract with Rondo. Comparable to your better models from Epiphone, Gretch, etc.

I've had many used ones pass through my hands, but what stops me from ever ordering a new one is that I *hate* buying sight-unseen, no matter how many times I would be allowed to exchange until I cherry-picked a winner. I don't like parting with money for a guitar I haven't played yet.

Also, I hardly ever buy new guitars anymore. A little careful Craigslist sniping and/or pawnshop scavenging generally can get you a lot more guitar for the dollar.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

they are completely {censored} guitars dont waste ur money on it mate..electronics wood everything on those guitars are completly crap believe me!!!get a prs se and u cannot go wrong..guitars i got jackson rx 10d flying v andy rhodes seymour duncan distortion on bridge,fender deluxe lonestar humbucker,2 texas single coils,seymour duncan pearly gates bridge,prs se tremonti, amazing guitar nice stock pick ups G&B,amp peavey bandit 112 transtube,effects -hardwire metal distortion tl-2 digitech great pedal...cheap guitars like agile rondo douglas etc are {censored}tttttttttttttt nice to make a fire..

• Members

jose00 wrote:

they are completely {censored} guitars dont waste ur money on it mate..electronics wood everything on those guitars are completly crap believe me!!!get a prs se and u cannot go wrong..guitars i got jackson rx 10d flying v andy rhodes seymour duncan distortion on bridge,fender deluxe lonestar humbucker,2 texas single coils,seymour duncan pearly gates bridge,prs se tremonti, amazing guitar nice stock pick ups G&B,amp peavey bandit 112 transtube,effects -hardwire metal distortion tl-2 digitech great pedal...cheap guitars like agile rondo douglas etc are {censored}tttttttttttttt nice to make a fire..

LOL....welcome to HCEG...and....uhh...good luck to ya.....you're going to need it.

• Members

I luv my 2 SXes, but like someone said before, be prepared to do some work on them. I replaced the single-locking FR on mine with an OFR. And you can replace the stock locking nuts in them with OFR locking nuts because the mounting holes are the same. Same thing with the string retainers.

On the black one, which has an angled headstock, I had to take off the truss rod cover so that the strings could pass under the string retainer. No biggie, really. And it has a Floyd Rose Special, which is about half of what an OFR costs. But the specs are exactly the same, and you can replace the saddles with OFR saddles if you need to.

SX Strat with Floyd.jpg

SX STD.jpg

Like someone said before, the really important things, like the neck and frets (which really can't be modded without spending a ton of money), are awesome right out of the box.

Also, on the SST OWL Strat (the light blue one), I had to solder a loose output jack wire. That wasn't too big of a problem either, when i found out why the sound was cutting out sometimes.

If you don't mind monkeying around with your guitars, SXes are a good, inexpensive platform.

Archived