Metallica album is

GreatDane

• Members

are you excited about the thought of a new Metallica album?  - Not especially, I love their 80s stuff though

which album do you think it will most closely resemble?  - As long as it doesn't resemble "St. Anger" I'm not really bothered

can Metallica still rock, or are they heavy metal zombies - dead without knowing they're dead? - I doubt the new album will be as good as their early stuff but I saw them live a couple of years back and they were still tighter than a gnat's chuff

do you even care?  - Well, the world is {censored}ed and we all die sometime so in the grand scheme of things I guess it doesn't really matter

do you like to use a wah everytime you solo?  - I used to, but I rarely bother to plug the wah pedal in anymore

how is your receding hairline coming along? - It's hanging in there

• Members

are you excited about the thought of a new Metallica album?

Not really, I'll give it a listen.

which album do you think it will most closely resemble?

Death Magnetic, I would guess?

can Metallica still rock, or are they heavy metal zombies - dead without knowing they're dead?

They can still rock, not sure about writing songs, though... it's been a while...

do you even care?  

Yes, I used to love them in the 80s and I'd like to see them do soemthing cool.

do you like to use a wah everytime you solo?  

Almost never.

how is your receding hairline coming along?

I'll be 40 in 2 weeks and still have good hair

• Members

I doubt I'll check it out, but as long as they have fans, they should keep at it. So no, I won't call them metal zombies. O suppose that I don't care. I like my wah well enough, though I must admit that I haven't used it in a few months. I'm yoing yet, and hair loss does not run in my family.

• Members

1are you excited about the thought of a new Metallica album?

2which album do you think it will most closely resemble?  

3can Metallica still rock, or are they heavy metal zombies - dead without knowing they're dead?

4do you even care?  

5do you like to use a wah everytime you solo?  

6how is your receding hairline coming along?

1. not really

2. load. is that even an album title? seriously? someone called thier album load?

3. banana stickers

4. no.

5. hell no. nobody does.

6. n/a

• Members

What, no Alternica fans here?

I have more Metallica on my ipod than one would think, based on my level of interest in them. I have Master of Puppets (whole album) and it's pretty great. Then, I have a couple songs off And Justice for All, Black Album, and Load. While I usually don't skip over their songs when they come up, I don't usually play them on purpose, either. Except Master of Puppets, which I've already said is pretty great.

Just this week, I checked out Death Magnetic and St. Anger on youtube. I expected them to suck, but they weren't nearly as bad as internet haters make them out to be. If I was a fan, I'm sure I'd dig them. I just find them hard to get into. A lot of it is the terrible mixing (IMO of course) and tremendously bad drum sounds (again IMO, I'm sure plenty of people like it).

• Members

My quick summary of Metallica albums:

1. Master of Puppets - masterpiece - A+

2. ...And Justice for All - masterpiece - A+

3. Kill 'Em All - raw and aggressive, full of great tunes - A

4. Ride The Lightning - MoP's older brother, not quite as great, but still great - A-

5. Garage Days Re-Revisited - killer covers - B+

6. Black Album - just kind of dull and even, imho, great production though - B

7. Load - I actually like it - it's pretty dark, but some really awful tunes like Mama Said brings it down - B-

8. Death Magnetic - return to form... except without the songwriting, solos and production - C+

9. St. Anger - a handful of good tunes, and it's got the aggression, just mostly not very well done - D+

10. Re-Load - awful album - D-

• Members

Good run down, BE. I personally would rate Ride the Lightning higher since its one I really identified with growing up, but I'm good with all your other assessments. The stuff this band did in their earlier catalog with Cliff and even Mustaine is iconic.

• Members

GreatDane wrote:

Good run down, BE. I personally would rate Ride the Lightning higher since its one I really identified with growing up, but I'm good with all your other assessments. The stuff this band did in their earlier catalog with Cliff and even Mustaine is iconic.

Yeah, I do like Ride the Lightning... I certainly wore it out back in the day.  For whatever reason I just don't listen to it any more, not sure why.  I still put on tunes from MoP, Justice & Kill 'Em All occasionally.  I went though a phase a couple years ago where I listened to Load with fresh ears and I actually liked it quite a bit.  IMHO the best songs on Load are better than the best songs on the Black album, but the worst songs on Load are much worse.  It's much more up and down.  Not as "metal," certainly, but I actually do like the album.  I didn't like it much back in the day, but my tastes have grown over the years.

• Members

Load would be a FANTASTIC album if they put a different band name on it. The expectations that the Metallica name bring threw that one off.

St. Anger is a giant steaming pile no matter what band name is on it.

Death Magnetic would have been better had somebody other than Rick Rubin produced it.

• Members

I like your list well enough, Bydo, though I wouldn't rate And Justice for All an A+, if only for the fact that for much of the record, it seems that they forgot to put the bass in the mix.

As for Load, "Until It Sleeps" is a legitimately good song. I used to like "Hero of the Day" until I heard it recently, and I decided that the song didn't grow with me. It sounds like a band trying to stretch its style, though ineffectively. "King Nothing" was a single that always sounded like filler to me. To be honest, I've always ignored the filler on all post-Black Album records, so just based on the singles, I'd rate the Black Album higher than Load.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I like your list well enough, Bydo, though I wouldn't rate And Justice for All an A+, if only for the fact that for much of the record, it seems that they forgot to put the bass in the mix.

Yeah, Justice sounds like it was recorded in a phone booth.  I'm usually not big on remixes or remasters, but if they "fixed" Justice, I'd totally buy it again.  That said, Puppets & Ride the Lightning aren' t too much better.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

True, Metallica albums always bury the bass. Justice has it the worst, though. Some awesome tracks on there, though.

Yeah, they really {censored}ed over Jason Newsted during that period.  I'm not surprised he finally gave them all the middle finger and quit.  They seem to be treating Robert Trujillo better; I definitely heard the bass more on Death Magnetic.

Here's my take on Metallica's records (with original songs), in order of preference:

- Master of Puppets.  A freakin' masterpiece

- Ride the Lightning.  The sound of a band stretching out, James really came into his own as a lyricist.

- And Justice for All.  Great songs but they buried the bass (see above).

- The Black Album.  The first several songs still kick major ass, right up until 'Don't Tread on Me.'

- Death Magnetic.  A solid return to form after losing their way.  Bringing in Robert Trujillo kicked their asses, big time.

- Load.  Not great but some decent tracks.

- Kill 'em All.  Great music but the lyrics suck.  It doesn't help that I only discovered these guys after high school so the lyrics were a bigger deal for me.

- Reload.  One or two decent songs but you can hear them losing their way.

- St. Anger.  They should have recorded this CD, then dropped it down a hole and gone straight to Death Magnetic.  Kirk Hammett got majorly screwed on this record; no guitar solos? WTF???

• Members

Death Magnetic could have been a killer album with the right production.  They totally screwed that one up by letting Rubin do his famous brickwalling/clipping production.

I personally really like Load and ReLoad.  Thought it was a great change of pace over doing Black II which would have been the easy road.

Archived