So I'm fixing up an abused 70's P-Bass partscaster for a friend

Preacher

• Members

I'm pulling a couple posts out of the In The Shop thread with a little modification so please bear with me for a post or two...

So I've got an older buddy who I jam with occasionally. Not too long ago I fixed a headstock crack on his old Yamaha SE. A few months ago (or so facepalm.gif )he asked me to fix his early '70s P-bass as the electronics were really messed up.

When I examined it I noted a couple things: 1) it had seen many mods, and 2) the finish was jacked.

I suspect it started life as a sunburst but it looks like someone stripped it and then slathered a varnish on with a trowel. You can see hand prints on both the front and back as well as where somebody set it on some sort of rack while the finish was still wet. I gently mentioned it and he immediately asked me to refinish it; when I asked him what he wanted he told me to surprise him.

The old finish:

HPIM1588.jpg
HPIM1576.jpg
HPIM1575.jpg
HPIM1580.jpg

It's seen a lot of action and I didn't want to make it mint - I respect the life it's led up to this point. I planned some transtint and Tru-oil. I think he'll really like a more worn in feel and I think the oil finish will showcase the dings it's picked up over the last few decades.

• Members

As for the neck, it's sweet. It's a fretless maple from the factory. The headstock finish definitely looks original, nitro checking and all. That said, the rest of the finish (other than the fingerboard) was really glossy and not as yellowed, turned out to be poly...

HPIM1582.jpg
HPIM1622.jpg
HPIM1621.jpg
HPIM1619.jpg
HPIM1620.jpg

ok, so as the neck code turned out - "01" = Precision Bass; "10" = Maple Fretless; "40" = 40th week of "4" = 1974; "1" = Monday.

• Members

As for the mods...
It seems as though someone routed and added a neck pickup. They also added a DPDT switch for a pickup selector - as well as another for reversing the phase of the p-bass pickups. They also added a kill-switch. It took me awhile to figure this out as the wiring is...unorthodox, shall we say. Things are grounded, but there is no ground connection at the output jack. you might also notice the outbound signal wire is very tenuously connected to the lug...with a screw.

HPIM1597.jpg
HPIM1599.jpgHPIM1616.jpg

• Members

A good "de-slathering" followed by a modest sanding job, then stain, and then finally Tru-oil job to seal the wood, will get it back to being the growling bass machine it is with a respectable look. Of course, the electronics (except the pickups) need a major overhaul -- wire, caps, pots -- all the way to and likely including the output jack.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check

View Post

Just saw the additional photos. Yoikes! Looks like it also needs a new red tortoiseshell pickguard (a.k.a. -- scratchplate) as that one has too many holes now from the modifications and is probably plenty yuck-o looking anyway.

Ha, yeah. I ended up getting all new pots 'n switches for it, but I dig the old hardware - including the funky pickguard icon_lol.gif and I want it to still look and feel like an old mojo'd friend when I'm done. love.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Ha, yeah. I ended up getting all new pots 'n switches for it, but I dig the old hardware - including the funky pickguard icon_lol.gif and I want it to still look and feel like an old mojo'd friend when I'm done. love.gif

Eh... I missed the fact that the second pickup was still in the pickguard. facepalm.gif

In that case, the pickguard stays. You can buff the pickguard with automobile polishing compound to restore it somewhat so that it is at least smooth and pleasant feeling to the hand again and not gritty/scratchy feeling.

Do you have a full image of the pickguard? I'm wondering about that neck pickup.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jw10 View Post
If I was ur pal, I wouldve kept it the way it was. At least visually. That Screams experience.

Afterwards, it will still, more or less, appear the way it does now -- battered a bit -- except it won't look like a sixth grader's project gone bad.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check

View Post

Afterwards, it will still, more or less, appear the way it does now -- battered a bit -- except it won't look like a sixth grader's project gone bad.

Word, 6th grader's project gone well is kind of what I'm going for here...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gergbee

View Post

Should be a fun project. Looking forward to the finished project. Have you decided on the finish yet?

Why yes, I have. Upon seeing it had been a sunburst but not wanting to spray over all of the dings and marks I decided to do a subtle burst using dyes as nod to it's sunburst past - then tru-oil...

• Members

Wowsers!!! While not a fan of altering original finishes on vintage instruments, there are exceptions, & that is def one of them, LOL... looks like a great project bass... I'm a huge p bass fan...

Right on, this was a little bit of an education for me as I wasn't really familiar with basses in general. I'm really starting to dig it though and realize how inept I am at playing bass - now I think I'm going to need to pick one up :facepalm:...:lol:

Archived