In the shop

meandi

• Members

Over the past few years, I've posted several threads showing builds, mods, repairs etc that I've done.

In the process, I've had some great conversations with some fine folks, from all over the planet, which I thoroughly enjoy! :)

So as a social experiment, I'm starting this thread, that will be kind of an online journal of what's on the bench day to day.

Anyone who'd care to hang out and visit a bit...come on in & have a seat.

I enjoy doing the photography & writing as well as the social interaction...so we'll see where this goes.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great idea! These are all your own guitars I presume? I do repairs for other people and I've done a few paint jobs for $$ as well. I won't post pics of a customer's guitar. It's an ethics issue. It would be like a gynecologist posting pics of all the diseased vaginae encountered in a day's work.

• Members

sounds good!any idea when that sweet lp will be making its way back to the bench?

I'll continue to report on that project in the blacktop thread.

It is and will continue to be my main objective through it's completion.

I've got several projects of my own that have been on the back burner (purpleheart/maple/mahogany neck through, a black walnut fully chambered tele, 3 more archtops that are all in the early stages) & as they are brought back I'll include them in this thread.

• Members

Great idea! These are all your own guitars I presume? I do repairs for other people and I've done a few paint jobs for $$ as well. I won't post pics of a customer's guitar. It's an ethics issue. It would be like a gynecologist posting pics of all the diseased vaginae encountered in a day's work.

Most of them are my guitars.

I agree on the ethics thing.

Ocasionally I get an interesting project to do for someone else & have, with their permission, done threads on the project.

My operation is strictly hobby shop.

The work I do for others are all friends or friends of friends, & is thus very laid back.

• Members

My "bench" is empty at the moment but I do have a Warmoth swamp ash strat body with standard spacing hard tail routing on order.

The plan is to do a two-tone wood stain (light cherry in center, dark cherry on the edges/sides/back) then finish in tung oil. I was thinking of using a nitro clear coat and still might in the end.

• Members

My "bench" is empty at the moment but I do have a Warmoth swamp ash strat body with standard spacing hard tail routing on order.

The plan is to do a two-tone wood stain (light cherry in center, dark cherry on the edges/sides/back) then finish in tung oil. I was thinking of using a nitro clear coat and still might in the end.

Warmoth builds good stuff & swamp ash is a sweet wood.

I used one of their necks once in a project & the fretwork was good enough, out of the box, I did not have to level & recrown before use.

Interesting thing, I think I read that they use steel instead of carbon fiber rods for neck stiffeners, can you comment on this?

• Members

Warmoth builds good stuff & swamp ash is a sweet wood.

I used one of their necks once in a project & the fretwork was good enough, out of the box, I
did not
have to level & recrown before use.

Interesting thing, I think I read that they use steel instead of carbon fiber rods for neck stiffeners, can you comment on this?

I have heard that too about their necks but I honestly do not know for sure. This project is just a body finish, all the other parts will come off my American Standard Strat. Well, the hard tail bridge is new too since my current strat is a two-point tremolo.

Right now I am debating on whether or not I want to use vintage style saddles on the bridge. Cahallam has a nice set for a decent price that are offset and 2 1/16th spacing so they will work on the hard tail bridge I picked up.

I was thinking of also re-finishing the back of the neck in tung-oil. I do not have a problem with the way it feels now, so I might just leave well enough alone unless the DIY bug bites really hard as I am finishing the body.

• Members

I have heard that too about their necks but I honestly do not know for sure. This project is just a body finish, all the other parts will come off my American Standard Strat. Well, the hard tail bridge is new too since my current strat is a two-point tremolo.

Right now I am debating on whether or not I want to use vintage style saddles on the bridge. Cahallam has a nice set for a decent price that are offset and 2 1/16th spacing so they will work on the hard tail bridge I picked up.

I was thinking of also re-finishing the back of the neck in tung-oil. I do not have a problem with the way it feels now, so I might just leave well enough alone unless the DIY bug bites really hard as I am finishing the body.

I really like tung oil on my necks.

It's slick & dry...a great combination.

And, it ages beatufully.

I finished this neck on my old strat about 5 years ago.:love:

oldstrat4.jpg

oldstrat5.jpg

Makes a good body finish as well.

at362.jpg

• Members

Sounds like a great idea, I've found your detailed build threads to be a big inspiration. They gave me the confidence to try building my Ric-a-like.

Nice to see you again, Mike!

Thanks for the compliment!

Glad I had a positive effect on your project...a journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step...:lol:

• Members

I really like tung oil on my necks.

It's slick & dry...a great combination.

And, it ages beatufully.

I finished this neck on my old strat about 5 years ago.
:love:
oldstrat4.jpg

oldstrat5.jpg

Makes a good body finish as well.

at362.jpg

I really like the look of the neck. :love: Now that I think about it, I can always re-finish my neck while I am waiting on my body. I should have it in another 3 weeks or so. It would be awesome if it showed up in time for Thanksgiving.

Archived