Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the shop

Over the past few years, I've posted several threads showing builds, mods, repairs etc that I've done.
    In the process, I've had some great conversations with some fine folks, from all over the planet, which I thoroughly enjoy!

So as a social experiment, I'm starting this thread, that will be kind of an online journal of what's on the bench day to day.
    Anyone who'd care to hang out and visit a bit...come on in & have a seat.
    I enjoy doing the photography & writing as well as the social interaction...so we'll see where this goes.
    don;t always remember this so...best to all!
    education...how ya gonna know what to do...'less ya know what to do
    people will not always believe what you say
    but they have no choice but to believe what you do
    studied as a science...practiced as an art

my build threads:

archtop #1 mahogany/maccasar ebony
    archtop #2 maple/brazilian ebony
    GreatDanes blacktop Les Paul
    purpleheart/maple neck-through

sounds good!any idea when that sweet lp will be making its way back to the bench?

Comment

I have an LP underway, myself. It should be ready for final sand and polish in another week.
      ------------------------------------------
      The quartersawn has been pulled for you....

Comment

Great idea! These are all your own guitars I presume? I do repairs for other people and I've done a few paint jobs for $$ as well. I won't post pics of a customer's guitar. It's an ethics issue. It would be like a gynecologist posting pics of all the diseased vaginae encountered in a day's work.
        There can never be a perfect plan. What's perfect for one human bean ain't perfect for the next one. Cuz he's a lentil.

Comment

sounds good!any idea when that sweet lp will be making its way back to the bench?

I'll continue to report on that project in the blacktop thread.
          It is and will continue to be my main objective through it's completion.

I've got several projects of my own that have been on the back burner (purpleheart/maple/mahogany neck through, a black walnut fully chambered tele, 3 more archtops that are all in the early stages) & as they are brought back I'll include them in this thread.

my build threads:

Comment

I'll continue to report on that project in the blacktop thread.

Comment

I have an LP underway, myself. It should be ready for final sand and polish in another week.

Did you do a thread on it?

my build threads:

Comment

Great idea! These are all your own guitars I presume? I do repairs for other people and I've done a few paint jobs for $$ as well. I won't post pics of a customer's guitar. It's an ethics issue. It would be like a gynecologist posting pics of all the diseased vaginae encountered in a day's work.

Most of them are my guitars.
                I agree on the ethics thing.
                Ocasionally I get an interesting project to do for someone else & have, with their permission, done threads on the project.
                My operation is strictly hobby shop.
                The work I do for others are all friends or friends of friends, & is thus very laid back.

my build threads:

Comment

My "bench" is empty at the moment but I do have a Warmoth swamp ash strat body with standard spacing hard tail routing on order.

The plan is to do a two-tone wood stain (light cherry in center, dark cherry on the edges/sides/back) then finish in tung oil. I was thinking of using a nitro clear coat and still might in the end.
                  Good Dealings with: LoFiBrian, 23cicero, Keebz, O'Rourke, PBomber22, cadillacman, chuckmehh, FXR, Jesse G, lank81

BlueStrat: I have to laugh when people will pay $1.69 for a bottle of Pepsi, 3 bucks for a latte or $1.39 for a frigging candy bar but a song they can own, listen to, learn and keep for years is too much at 99 cents.

http://www.myspace.com/dalisllama

Comment

My "bench" is empty at the moment but I do have a Warmoth swamp ash strat body with standard spacing hard tail routing on order.

The plan is to do a two-tone wood stain (light cherry in center, dark cherry on the edges/sides/back) then finish in tung oil. I was thinking of using a nitro clear coat and still might in the end.

Warmoth builds good stuff & swamp ash is a sweet wood.
                    I used one of their necks once in a project & the fretwork was good enough, out of the box, I did not have to level & recrown before use.

Interesting thing, I think I read that they use steel instead of carbon fiber rods for neck stiffeners, can you comment on this?

my build threads:

Comment

This should be fun.
                      Listen...

Comment

This should be fun.

my build threads:

Comment

Warmoth builds good stuff & swamp ash is a sweet wood.
                          I used one of their necks once in a project & the fretwork was good enough, out of the box, I did not have to level & recrown before use.

Interesting thing, I think I read that they use steel instead of carbon fiber rods for neck stiffeners, can you comment on this?

I have heard that too about their necks but I honestly do not know for sure. This project is just a body finish, all the other parts will come off my American Standard Strat. Well, the hard tail bridge is new too since my current strat is a two-point tremolo.

Right now I am debating on whether or not I want to use vintage style saddles on the bridge. Cahallam has a nice set for a decent price that are offset and 2 1/16th spacing so they will work on the hard tail bridge I picked up.

I was thinking of also re-finishing the back of the neck in tung-oil. I do not have a problem with the way it feels now, so I might just leave well enough alone unless the DIY bug bites really hard as I am finishing the body.
                          Good Dealings with: LoFiBrian, 23cicero, Keebz, O'Rourke, PBomber22, cadillacman, chuckmehh, FXR, Jesse G, lank81

BlueStrat: I have to laugh when people will pay $1.69 for a bottle of Pepsi, 3 bucks for a latte or $1.39 for a frigging candy bar but a song they can own, listen to, learn and keep for years is too much at 99 cents.

http://www.myspace.com/dalisllama

Comment

Sounds like a great idea, I've found your detailed build threads to be a big inspiration. They gave me the confidence to try building my Ric-a-like.

Comment

I have heard that too about their necks but I honestly do not know for sure. This project is just a body finish, all the other parts will come off my American Standard Strat. Well, the hard tail bridge is new too since my current strat is a two-point tremolo.

Right now I am debating on whether or not I want to use vintage style saddles on the bridge. Cahallam has a nice set for a decent price that are offset and 2 1/16th spacing so they will work on the hard tail bridge I picked up.

I was thinking of also re-finishing the back of the neck in tung-oil. I do not have a problem with the way it feels now, so I might just leave well enough alone unless the DIY bug bites really hard as I am finishing the body.

I really like tung oil on my necks.
                              It's slick & dry...a great combination.
                              And, it ages beatufully.
                              I finished this neck on my old strat about 5 years ago.

Makes a good body finish as well.

my build threads:

Comment

Working...
                              X