Rate these strats...

thom

• Members

I *might* be shopping for a fresh strat in the not-so-near future. I mainly just like doing these kinds of little lists though, so if you don't mind, humor me:)

In what order would you put these strats, going from okay to bitchin:

- 80s squier JV

-'80s Tokai (either Springy Sound or Goldstar Sound)

- '90s MIJ Squier

-Fender MIJ (whatever year of production)

-Squier Classic Vibe

Which is the best bang for the buck? Which is the best vintage style strat regardless of the price? Is it safe to assume that all japanese made fuji-gen guitars are pretty much equal in terms of parts and overal build quality, or is there a real difference between the fender stuff and the squier stuff? I know there's a ton of other brands that had strat copies made in the fuji-gen plants, but my list is already long enough as it is:)

Cheers.

• Members

The best Strat I ever played was an MIJ Fender Strat. I have also tested out and was impressed by the Squier Classic Vibes, though I didn't particularly care for the thin necks. It would take a little getting used to.

As for the others, I don't know. I played a 90s Squier (not sure of the CoM) and it wasn't really good. It belonged to my friend as his first guitar.

• Members

thom wrote:

I *might* be shopping for a fresh strat in the not-so-near future. I mainly just like doing these kinds of little lists though, so if you don't mind, humor me:)

- 80s squier JV

- '90s MIJ Squier

-Squier Classic Vibe

Which is the best bang for the buck? Which is the best vintage style strat regardless of the price? Is it safe to assume that all japanese made fuji-gen guitars are pretty much equal in terms of parts and overal build quality, or is there a real difference between the fender stuff and the squier stuff? I know there's a ton of other brands that had strat copies made in the fuji-gen plants, but my list is already long enough as it is:)

Cheers.

Which Tokai's are you talking about?  Cause there are about 6 different levels of "springy sounds".   I'm not a Tokai expert but I'm pretty sure Goldstars are NOT considered anywhere near the best Tokai's that were made.   Pretty sure they are mid range at best.  You might want to ask this question over at the Tokai forum. 

For MIJ fenders you should start here and read about the JV lines.

http://21frets.com/

Again it's important to remember here that even thought the Squier JV's have this great reputation, they were still low to mid range guitars back in the day.  Even the regular fender JV's came in a wide range from mid to fairly high end. 

So then when you bring in newer (than JV) MIJ/CIJ fenders it AGAIN totally depends on what model?  They made and continue to make models from low/mid range all the way up to special edition high end.  Which one are you talking about?

And no...Fujigen made the bulk of many of these guitars and they are most certainly NOT the same.  You go from low end three piece type, poly coated cheap electronics, cheap hardware, japanese pickups, all the way up to one piece pure old school nitro with NO poly undercoats, top of the line electronics, hardware and USA pickups.  So yeah..there is a big difference between models. 

Most of the best MIJ stuff never left Japan.  I doubt many here have even had experience with any of the better MIJ fender stuff.  Most of the stuff that made it to the US was mid range at best...(like the squier JV's). 

So really what I'm saying is your request doesn't really make much sense because it's much too general. 

• Members

I don't buy many Mexican made guitars but I do know that there was a plant Fender had there in the 90s that burned down. This would have been somewhere between 92 - 94.

I know there is a new factory there where Fender continues their practice of slapping its name on anything that can make them a quick buck. If it's better/worse then the old factory I have no idea but in recent years a lot of the things they have slapped the Fender name on have been low end junk.

• Members

soundcreation wrote:

thom wrote:

- 80s squier JV

- '90s MIJ Squier

-Squier Classic Vibe

Cheers.

Which Tokai's are you talking about?  Cause there are about 6 different levels of "springy sounds".   I'm not a Tokai expert but I'm pretty sure Goldstars are NOT considered anywhere near the best Tokai's that were made.   Pretty sure they are mid range at best.  You might want to ask this question over at the Tokai forum. 

For MIJ fenders you should start here and read about the JV lines.

Again it's important to remember here that even thought the Squier JV's have this great reputation, they were still low to mid range guitars back in the day.  Even the regular fender JV's came in a wide range from mid to fairly high end. 

So then when you bring in newer (than JV) MIJ/CIJ fenders it AGAIN totally depends on what model?  They made and continue to make models from low/mid range all the way up to special edition high end.  Which one are you talking about?

And no...Fujigen made the bulk of many of these guitars and they are most certainly NOT the same.  You go from low end three piece type, poly coated cheap electronics, cheap hardware, japanese pickups, all the way up to one piece pure old school nitro with NO poly undercoats, top of the line electronics, hardware and USA pickups.  So yeah..there is a big difference between models. 

Most of the best MIJ stuff never left Japan.  I doubt many here have even had experience with any of the better MIJ fender stuff.  Most of the stuff that made it to the US was mid range at best...(like the squier JV's). 

So really what I'm saying is your request doesn't really make much sense because it's much too general. 

Then i guess I've got some more research to do:s

I was aware japanese fender/squier/tokai strats came in different quality/price levels, but I somehow assumed they were all more or less in the same ballpark, minus the pickups. 

It's btw not too easy for someone like me to identify say, some 80s tokai strat, based on a couple ebay pics. Again, it'll take a little more google'ing to find out about all the different models and versions.

Regardless, around here pretty much *any* good condition 80s mij strat still goes for way more than what I want to spend. Especially with the -imo- more than decent quality of the current cheap-ish mim classic series. Not to mension the relatively low prices for mia strats.

• Members

To answer the original question: whichever feels the best in your hands.  I've played Indonesian Squiers that I'd happily gig with (after a pickup change) and I've tried MiJ Tokais that were stunning and some that were whimpering runts.

If you're looking for a nice vintage repro, try Fender's Road Worn series.  I took my 50's RW to a reputable shop (12th Fret in Toronto) for a set-up and fret-sprout removal and the senior repair guy was impressed with how similar it looked, felt and sounded to a genuine '57 Strat (and yes, those guys handle a lot of vintage guitars). Leaving aside the whole 'relic' thing, they are very underrated instruments.

They may be a little out of your range if you're buying new, but you could probably find one used for decent $$$.

• Members

Personally, I would avoid the older squiers, and I've not been too impressed by the non-fender branded japanese strats I've played, though to be fair that's been a fairly small sample.  That leaves either finding a Japanese fender, or one of the CVs.  I'd probably just pick up a CV and call it a day.

• Members

Classic Vibe all the way. Its brand new. You can walk into a shop and cherry pick one. They are consistently great instruments. 

If you want a nice Tokai strat copy, like a Springy Sounds model from the 80s, be prepared to spend the big bucks. I just saw one sell on eBay for $1,150. Less desireable ones, $600-$800.

The old JV squiers are cool too. Very collectible. But the nice ones arent cheap either. And you don't really know what you're getting. There could be issues with fret wear. Bad electronics. Might not stay in tune well. 

I've owned a Squier Affinity, MIM Standard, Highway 1, and an American Standard, but my 50's classic vibe strat is my fav, and the only electric guitar I own now (by choice). It's extremely light and resonant. The pickups sound great. The medium jumbo frets are a joy to play. It stays in tune very well. 

But the bottom line is picking a guitar that speaks to you, that you bond with. 

• Members

Budget: I'd prefer to stay under 800Euro, though I might be willing to spend a little bit more if I come across a REALLY good deal for something that makes my pee pee maker tingle. 

If you can educate me on that Greco faster than I can google the info: 'Preciate it:)

Looks pretty sweet, and I'm sure you're right it's a killer strat. It better be, 1100Euro/1430USD (inc s&h) aint small change:s

I'm really more after a 60s style strat though, already have a mij squier with a maple neck. I'd replace the neck with somthing else if it were easy to find a similar quality neck, but I'd feel wrong to mess with a vintage-ish beauty like that:s

Any experience with that guy btw? How are his prices generally? I guess it's a niche market, but I swear some of those guitars've been on there for ages. Makes me wonder if maybe he has only rich suckers for customers:s

Edit: What I found about that Greco: Chunky/huge neck:( One of the reasons I generally prefer 60s style strats.

The Rover wrote:

Based on reputation alone Id get the MIJ Fender first out of those. Then the Tokai if MIJ followed by the 90s MIJ Squier/CV Squier, 80s Squier in that order.

80s era MIJ Squiers are solid guitars... I don't know if I'd put them last on the list, and even if they do belong in last place, they're still better guitars than that placement & ranking would seem to suggest. At least IMO.

• Members

thom wrote:

- 80s squier JV

- '90s MIJ Squier

-Squier Classic Vibe

Cheers.

If you can find a 70s era Squier they were about as good as todays MIA Strats.

Archived