Yngwie Malmsteen

buckethead99

• Members

Love him or hate him he is a character. His new CD Spellbound is really half way decent,I know he gets repetitious as I think many players do. When I first heard of him in Alcatrazz he blew me away. No I don't have everything he put out because alot does sound the same and bad writing and vocals I cant handle. So any love for YJM?

• Members

I bought Rising Force back in the 80s, but it didn't click with me.  I was really into metal, but my ears weren't there yet.  Flash forward 20 years... after a long stint of nothing but blues a friend of mine started getting me back into the metal of my youth.  3-4 years ago I pulled out my Yngwie tape almost on a whim, laid on the floor with headphones on, and just took in Rising Force start to finish.  I certainly "got it" then.   Amazing album, and I've picked up a few others since.  There's a lot of passion in that album, and you can certainly hear it.  He's also got killer vibrato and great tone (on that record, anyways, some are up and down).

I saw him live a year or two ago, and it was a great show. Ridiculously, unnecessarily loud, but he did a great job of putting on a metal show and not just standing there.  It was entertaining.

Not my favorite music, but when the mood strikes, yeah, I like some Yngwie.  Don't care much about his off-stage antics or attitudes - he's said some ridiculous things about music and other musicians - but nothing super offensive to me.

• Members

BydoEmpire wrote:

I bought Rising Force back in the 80s, but it didn't click with me.  I was really into metal, but my ears weren't there yet.  Flash forward 20 years... after a long stint of nothing but blues a friend of mine started getting me back into the metal of my youth.  3-4 years ago I pulled out my Yngwie tape almost on a whim, laid on the floor with headphones on, and just took in Rising Force start to finish.  I certainly "got it" then.   Amazing album, and I've picked up a few others since.  There's a lot of passion in that album, and you can certainly hear it.  He's also got killer vibrato and great tone (on that record, anyways, some are up and down).

I saw him live a year or two ago, and it was a great show. Ridiculously, unnecessarily loud, but he did a great job of putting on a metal show and not just
standing there
.  It was entertaining.

Not my
favorite
music, but when the mood strikes, yeah, I like some Yngwie.  Don't care much about his off-stage antics or attitudes - he's said some ridiculous things about music and other musicians - but nothing super offensive to me.

Yes he has inspired more than a few guitar players,Him playing with Satch and Vai was awesome. And sure he like many musicians with egos can be jerks. Just play music and shut up Yngwie.

• Members

I'm getting a ticket to see him next month.  I don't own any of his albums, but I've heard them.  I do own the G3 thing with him on it.  He knows no restraint, but he doesn't have to... he is Yngwie.  I'm looking forward to seeing him and will probably give his albums a listen on spotify to get prepped.

• Members

Yer Blues wrote:

I'm getting a ticket to see him next month.  I don't own any of his albums, but I've heard them.  I do own the G3 thing with him on it.  He knows no restraint, but he doesn't have to... he is Yngwie.  I'm looking forward to seeing him and will probably give his albums a listen on spotify to get prepped.

He puts on a great show, but definitely bring ear plugs.

• Members

It allways makes me laugh when somebody says yngwie has no soul. How can you define soul it's something inside of each and every one of us. Yngwie's music may not share your idea of soul but it definately has soul. Yngwie has followed the same path for 30 years now he has never changed and never compromised because what he does comes from his heart and from his soul and it is what he feels. And just for the record i don't enjoy his music i can appreciate it and if i hear it playing i won't turn it off but i wouldn't intentionally listen to it.

• Members

I like Yngvie when he's interviewed. I think if more people had his attitude this country would be a much better place then it is.

I have never been a fan of his style of music but I saw him live once and he was pretty bad ass. Like I said, not really my style but he's a great player.

Archived