How good are the American Vintage Strats?

black blade

• Members

Nitro finish - that is cool.

They are a lot more money...But are they really any better than the American Standard Strats?

I'm going to end up buying one or the other and would appreciate advice/thoughts from those of you who have owned these models.

Cheers.

• Members

If you jive with the vintage specs (I'd try to play one first, before you buy), then I think you'd be pretty happy with one. I feel there's a little more attention to detail paid with the AVRI and Signature series Fenders over the American Standards. I think they tend to hold their value a bit better as well. I have a 57 reissue from '86 that's just exceptional. As with all Fenders, I think it mostly comes down to taste and desired specs though.

• Members

I have some vintage Fender guitars. The AVRI series are probably the only guitars Fender makes that I would buy. I don't know how the new ones are because I haven't played any but the last ones I did play (prob 03/04) were still very nice.

Like Special J said, you have to like the vintage specs (small frets, radius, etc...). I like that better then the flat larger fret American Standard stuff but YMMV.

Archived