What Are Your Favorite Obscure Albums?

kayd_mon

• Members

Similar to my other thread, I guess. If it went platinum, it probably won't apply, but there are plenty of "underground" or unheard of albums that are nevertheless excellent. Which ones resonate with you?

Moke - Carnival

This short-lived British band opened for King's X a while back, and they were really great. Lots of fun, great vocalist, and cool songwriting. Carnival is the second of their only two albums. Damn, I wish these guys would come back. I'll try to update this thread later with youtube clips to share.

Spock's Beard - Snow

Spock's Beard is well-known to neo-prog fans, but how many people fit that description? Anyway, Snow was their attempt at a rock opera concept thing, and I really, really dug it. Pieces of it are reminiscent of Tommy, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and Fragile (because they have a very Yes-ish sound going on) but I just love the record. Bug fan of the band, even though they're on singer #3 now.

Galactic Cowboys - The Horse that Bud Bought

These guys were always closely associated with King's X, but they were always a very different band. They were around for a while and released quite a few albums (all of which are good, IMO), but they were especially hard to find at record shops before you could order everything off Amazon. Even in early days of Amazon, I had trouble finding their albums. Anyway, The Horse that Bud Bought represents all aspects of their sound in the best way, I think. Heavy, aggressive, melodic, and silly all at once. I love it.

I would be tempted to put stuff from Porcupine Tree on here, but they are getting pretty well known. Same goes for many of my other favorites like The Decemberists, etc.

What albums do you love that we've never heard of?

• Members

Screaming Blue Messiahs, Gun Shy - I think I must have been one of the few people in town who got into these guys during their heyday.  Imagine Bo Diddley as a punk rocker.

Video's a bit grainy but the sound's still good:

• Members

This actually makes me a little sad because I recently liquidated my vinyl collection to fund an American Strat purchase.  Most of these were out of print before they made it to CD.

The Brains - Electronic Eden

The Modern Lovers - Self-titled

Ravi Shankar - Tana Mana

Naked Prey - Under the Blue Marlin

The Saints - Out in the Jungle

Martin Rev - Clouds of Glory

And more recently (CD format):

Brian Jonestown Masacre - Aufheben

The Sadies - Tremendous Efforts

Dave Alvin - Ashgrove 

• Members

i really dig these albums, and the artists that made them.

The Atomic Bitchwax (self-titled & vol. 2)

"Gimmick" & "Lardroom" by Barkmarket

"American Nervoso" and "We Are The Romans" by Botch

"The Contino Sessions" by Death in Vegas

"Burn the Maps" by the Frames (not really obscure, but a few of you might not have caught these guys)

"Forever & Counting" by Hot Water Music

"Wild Wonderful Purgatory" by Karma to Burn

Keelhaul (Self-titled)

"Things We Lost in the Fire" by Low

"Ill at Ease" by The Mark of Cain - (imagine if Helmet were from Australia...)

"Yes" by Morphine (a classic in some circles - probably not that obscure to many of you)

"Plague of the Planet" by Ogre

"At Action Park" by Shellac (another classic in some circles - probably not that obscure to many of you)

"The Egg" by Shiner

"Pony Express Record" by Shudder to Think

"This is the Hour of Lead" by Shuttlecock

"Oxeneers or The Lion Sleeps When its Antelope Go Home" by These Arms are Snakes

Tin Machine (self-titled)

"Mysterioso" by Totimoshi

Unsane (self-titled)

• Members

buckethead99 wrote:

Dread Zeppelin.

This is on my list as well.

Others:

Love -- Forever Changes (also on my classic albums list...it's an obscure classic)

Dave Alvin -- Blackjack David

Peter Case -- the man with the Blue post-modern fragmented neo-traditionalist Guitar

Hamsa Al Din -- Ecstasy (the Water Wheel)

Ted Hawkins -- The Next Hundred Years

The Jayhawks -- Rainy Day Music

Van Morrison -- Common One

Subdudes -- Annunciation

Krishna Das -- One Track Heart

John Doe -- A Year in the Wilderness

• Members

Well we have:

Michael Fennelly - Stranger's Bed

Neil Merriweather and the Space Rangers - Kryptonite

BullAngus - Free For All and self titled

Good Rats - all albums