Just for fun... the dumbest things bandmates have said to you...

joecool1963

• Members

You were actually in a band with tgat guy? Either that guyvwas just busting your balls in which case it is kind of funny, OR he is such a clueless unbelievable idiot, I can't imagine someone playing more than a few months seriously saying something like this and can only imagine what a band with someone like that in it would sound like, and why you would actually want to play in it?

• Members

Dunno about dumb but I had a disagreement with the other guitarist in our praise band recently. The sheet music for a new song gave one chord as Fmaj7/G. For whatever reason, it didn't seem right and I looked at the actual notes: G A D F. Works out as G9 or possibly Dm/G. I mentioned this and the guy said "No, it's right. It fits the progression." Sorry, but you can't have a major 7th chord without a major 7th (in this case, E). This is the same guy who was playing a duet with a hammer dulcimer last year and didn't realize they were playing in different keys.

• Members

@davearonow

We were kids, he was our friend, and he was a better drummer as a 15-year-old than a lot of recorded drummers. We would do stupid stuff like this in school, so it wasn't totally out of the ordinary. But he was a little off sometimes, and when we were paying for rehearsal space (which he never paid for) we would get frustrated with that kind of foolishness.

Anyway, he has since moved to LA, joined a not-unknown band and toured all over the world. I haven't talked to him in a while, though. He was (still is) a great musician, and he totally deserves to be a pro. We always said we would be buying his CDs one day, while the rest of us would probably wash up. We were mostly right.

• Members

I don't remember how the subject came up but a mention was made of Marconi inventing the radio. The singer(she was a blonde ) said "wait a minute ,I thought KDKA was like the first radio station.Why would someone invent a radio if there is no station?"

• Members

The drummer in my cover band having a conversation with the old keys player over part of a song that we were working on:

Drummer tells keys how a certain bit goes and keys replies. "What do you know?  You're just the drummer". 

Having a conversation with the bass player in another band that I'm working with.  He's telling me that he wants me to be their 'musical director' and then asks me if I would 'please' help the lead singer tune his guitar.  My response: "I already did... I tuned it out!" :smileytongue:

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

You were actually in a band with tgat guy? Either that guyvwas just busting your balls in which case it is kind of funny, OR he is such a clueless unbelievable idiot, I can't imagine someone playing more than a few months seriously saying something like this and can only imagine what a band with someone like that in it would sound like, and why you would actually want to play in it?

Yes, he was totally serious, and he was a total asshole. According to him, he "toured" and played gigs in South Carolina. To help put this in context, this was a Christian band, and the worship leader (read band leader) put up with all kinds of crap.

If he were being funny, I would have laughed too....

• Members

GilmourD wrote:

Former singer/rhythm guitarist: "Dude, I did coke lastly night and banged a 15 year old chicken that's not my fiance." he was 27 at the time.

OMG!! You were in Lostprophets?!?!?!!?

:o

• Members

I once worked with a band leader who said plenty of stupid things, but the thing I remember the most was a NYE gig were he left after the 2nd set before midnight.  Nobody can find him and 10 minutes extends to 15, 20, 25.  Finally he calls my cell phone and says "Kid (don't think he ever learned my name), I'm just not feeling it tonight.  I'd rather be playing in my house.   I'm going to go to a party and will be back tomorrow to pick up my gear."  Granted the place was not exactly packed, but there were people there AND it was his band/reputation on the line.  I left the band shortly thereafter. 

• Members

Yer Blues wrote:

I once worked with a band leader who said plenty of stupid things, but the thing I remember the most was a NYE gig were he left after the 2nd set before midnight.  Nobody can find him and 10 minutes extends to 15, 20, 25.  Finally he calls my cell phone and says "Kid (don't think he ever learned my name), I'm just not feeling it tonight.  I'd rather be playing in my house.   I'm going to go to a party and will be back tomorrow to pick up my gear."  Granted the place was not exactly packed, but there were people there AND it was his band/reputation on the line.  I left the band shortly thereafter. 

That's pretty bad.

Curious how the band handled the situation.

Archived