My Amp Wants/Needs Have Changed...A LOT....

steve_man

• Members

I was thinking about how many amps I've been through since I've been playing guitar.  When I moved to Austin a couple of years ago, I had nothing but tube amps...loved them, but ended up not using them in the live settings that I play in.  So, I sold them all.  Then, I sold my Mustang II, and bought this...

photo.JPG

I gotta say, it's my favorite practice amp that I've ever owned.  Bought it used, and I play probably 75\% of the time through this thing.  Clean channel is amazing, and I LOVE the distortion channels.  Effects are all I need, and it is LOUD!

For live stuff, this is all I use...

cb23d578.jpg

In fact, the speaker stays at home, and the HD500 covers everything.  Sure, I miss having my cool looking tube amps, but wow...I can cover a LOT of ground with this small, light setup...

• Members

I went the other way around. I started with multi-fx units. I gigged a Digitech RP-7 Valve into a pair of solid state Fenders, and then I did the same thing with a POD 2.0 and a four-button footswitch. I eventually moved to single stomps into tubes (Vox).

But the important thing is that you like what you're running!

• Members

I don't fire up the tube amps very often any more, and I have several. Mostly, I just use GR5 or run my pedal board through a tube pre into my mixer and into the computer. I do just about everything with headphones now.

• Members

I record all the time with a pair of silver face vibro champs. I agree that everything sounds great through them.

My amp needs haven't changed that much in 20 years, to be honest. I get off on a simple tube circuit and will use either a head/cab or combo amp depending on the situation.

• Members

GreatDane wrote:   
 I get off on a simple tube circuit ...

This.

I have four amps and a few pedals.  Most of the time I am playing my main electric straight into a Goodsell Super 17.  My baritone I play straight into a Traynor Bassmaster.  Both simple amps with great cleans.  I play mostly clean anymore so both of these work great for me.  I do have a Straub Cantus lurking in the corner for when I want to bring the nasty.  Honestly though, I rarely play it.

Archived