old guitars.

GreatDane

• Members

i was playing some of my older guitars today and thought I'd snap a few group pictures of all my oldies in case some of you were interested.  hopefully you can dig them!

v

from left to right, pictured are: 

1962 Gibson LP/SG, 1964 Gibson ES335, 1964 Fender Stratocaster, 1955 Gretsch Duo-Jet, 1959 Fender Jazzmaster, 1958 Gibson ES-175D, 1962 Fender Jaguar

v

v

v

v

v

feel free to share pics of your old guitars - post 'em if you got 'em!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

kayd_mon wrote:

What a beautiful group there.  And nice photography, too!  I'd especially like to play a Jazzmaster like that!

thank you, k_m!  i picked up the jazzmaster in NYC from a dealer friend.  it has an amazing neck on it that just begs to be played; well-worn and pretty chunky (not what you might expect to feel if your reference point is a contemporary Fender).

• Members

1951 Epiphone Devon

Here's my only vintage guitar (I have a violin that is 100 years old this year, though!), and it's a family heirloom (same as the violin).  It's a 1951 Epiphone Devon archtop acoustic.  Made in the USA in New York before the company was sold to Gibson (and I guess before they moved production to Philadelphia).  It's very well worn.  The pickguard is broken and warped, and it's in the case.  The guitar looks like it once had a pickup mounted to the top, but it's since been removed.  The intonation is perfect on it, and the action is amazingly low.  Its huge body with f-holes makes it sound like a huge parlor guitar, if you're used to hearing deep dreadnought acoustics.  I am honored to have it.

• Members

Freakin' awesome guitars, GD.  I especially love the Strat and the Jazzmaster.  The JM reminds me of my "one that got away": a '58 JM I found in Gruhn's Guitars when I was in Nashville several years back.  It was clearly someone's #1 as it looked like it had been through the wars and played beautifully.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the $3,700 to bring it home with me. :robotsad:

Here's my only "vintage" guitar, a 1959 LP Junior. 

Les Paul Junior

As with all my gits, there's a story.  :robotwink:  I found this in 1998 at a Long & McQuade. I was walking in to buy some strings and I noticed this on the wall. I immediately recognized this was no ordinary Junior, pulled it down, looked at the price tag ($800) and instantly started giving this guitar the once-over.

Obviously it wasn't all-original: the previous owner had stripped off the TV yellow finish, slapped Grover tuners, put on a not-so-great BadAss bridge and old Tele knobs. But it was structurally sound and a hell of a deal. When I asked the salesperson, he said, "The previous owner was an idiot."

Needless to say, I got a pretty good deal on a 1959 Les Paul! I ended up living on ramen noodles for the next 6 months but it was so worth it.

• Members

Alecto wrote:

Freakin' awesome guitars, GD.  I especially love the Strat and the Jazzmaster.  The JM reminds me of my "one that got away": a '58 JM I found in Gruhn's Guitars when I was in Nashville several years back.  It was clearly someone's #1 as it looked like it had been through the wars and played beautifully.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the $3,700 to bring it home with me. :robotsad:

Here's my only "vintage" guitar, a 1959 LP Junior. 

Les Paul Junior

As with all my gits, there's a story.  :robotwink:  I found this in 1998 at a Long & McQuade. I was walking in to buy some strings and I noticed this on the wall. I immediately recognized this was no ordinary Junior, pulled it down, looked at the price tag ($800) and instantly started giving this guitar the once-over.

Obviously it wasn't all-original: the previous owner had stripped off the TV yellow finish, slapped Grover tuners, put on a not-so-great BadAss bridge and old Tele knobs. But it was structurally sound and a hell of a deal. When I asked the salesperson, he said, "The previous owner was an idiot."

Needless to say, I got a pretty good deal on a 1959 Les Paul! I ended up living on ramen noodles for the next 6 months but it was so worth it.

sweet junior doublecut!  i would have definitely taken that for a spin as well if i'd seen it for that price in a shop.  congratulations!

• Members

GreatDane,

I don't know a lot about photography, but I do have a couple of questions about your pics. Did you accomplish the specific depth-of-field (sharp-focus guitars, soft focus framed pictures) with a lense/apature choice, or some Photoshop wizardry? Your shots almost look like the, "Tilt-Shift" technique that makes the real-world look like minitures (I don't know how that's done).

And that, "Tele" of yours, is it from a custom builder of some sort, or something you whipped-up on your own. In any case, I like its, "mixed-media/Industry", look.

• Members

@FrankenSteinbeck: thank you for the kind words. I use a canon point and shoot mounted to a tripod, and then did some blurring afterwards in Photoshop. The blurring looks pretty hack IMO but honestly I was more focused on removing friends and family from the shot than I was about artistic touches.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I would enjoy that, GD!

here you go!  the clip is a 1949 ES-125 recorded with a mic on the guitar (like mic'ing an acoustic) and a mic on the amp (an early silverface Fender Champ), and then i blended the two signals.  it's all one take; guitar and vocals.  afterwards, i overdubbed a lead at the end using a '61 Gretsch double anniversary into the same Champ.

hopefully you can dig it.  it's a cover of the Leonard Cohen song "everybody knows":

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10388994

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Woah, Preacher! I'll bet that thing sounds amazing!

Heh, yeah, though I do gotta say there are still nuances in the sound I'm just getting to know. It's one of those guitars that makes you lose track of time while playing. Oh, and that P90 does love some fuzz...

• Members

@wankdaplank: that is a guitar build by Peter Malinoski called the Rodeo. Its got a padauk fretboard on a maple and cherry neck. The body is made up of a maple pickup plate over a Spanish cedar body. The finish is oil and acrylic. 25-1/2 scale. 14" radius with large frets. 1-11/16" nut. Carbon fiber and truss rods in the neck for stability. Hipshot bridge with passive piezo (no batteries needed). Malinoski makes his own pickups. Volume control is push/pull for coil tap. Tone is push/pull for piezo. The whole thing weighs under 6 pounds. Its a remarkable guitar.

Archived