Hagstrom H Expander Truss Rod

Annoying Twit

• Members

I'd give a qualified 'yes,' but I'd also say that it depends on your playing style. With a med-heavy pick, and a heavy attack, I think it will buzz like pretty well any other guitar, though the amp may not pick it up. All I can say is, the Hags I've played, including the one I bought today, had very low action, the neck was straight, and buzzing isn't too big an issue (I am one of those with heavy hands).

YMMV,

Glenn

• Members

Oh, I've stared at that page repeatedly, and longingly, for the last 3 weeks! lolz!

All I can say is, my Super Swede is a VERY, VERY good guitar. My advice would be to go to a store that has them, and try them out.

Cheers,

Glenn

PS, mine has .009s on it, and the action is pretty low, very little buzz, none that makes it to the amp, and it stays in tune very well.

• Members

Yes the H expander allows for a really thin neck. Hags have a great neck. Wide like a Gibson but very thin. Best neck I have ever played. Like Glen F said there can be some issues with buzz but I've managed to adjust that out so it's not a real problem for me.

• Members

I had no buzzing issues on mine after a set up,low action & all. I now have buzzing since getting new pups installed so it's going back in to have them fix that for free!

I don't think it is really buzz as much as string slap from heavey picking.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Yes the H expander allows for a really thin neck. Hags have a great neck. Wide like a Gibson but very thin. Best neck I have ever played. Like Glen F said there can be some issues with buzz but I've managed to adjust that out so it's not a real problem for me.

2553-large.jpg

HI Saturn did you manage to adjust the truss rod too?...........I am trying to do mine but I cannot use the allen keys at all (hex keys).....maybe you know how to?

Or if anyone else can help me to rectify this problem.........I have contacted Hagstrom UK but all they said was to watch some videos on the net, which is rubbish as there are not videos on hags truss rod setup; not helpful there

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

I found out what is going on with the Hagstrom H-Expander. The hex screw in the end is NOT a normal truss rod adjuster. In fact, it's a "set screw" that screws down agains the end of the rod that goes through the body of the H-Expander. To adjust the neck you have to apply pressure against the middle of the neck (and have the strings completely loosened). THis will bow the H-expander and make the rod going through the middle also bowed - leaving a little extra room between the rod end and the set screw. Now you tighten the set screw to press against the rod. When you relieve the pressure from the middle of the neck the H-Expander will be set in place and won't budge. This is NOT like the normal truss rod. And people who complain about the hex screw not turning are not doing the right thing. The H-Expander has to be pre-bent to the amount of back bow you want prior to adjusting the set screw. If you just keep on turning the set screw and try to force it you are likely to strip it out. The good news is that if you do you can probably get a replacement and replace it since the set screw will come out if you completely unscrew it.

• Members

I definitely say "yes." Hagstrom makes a superb neck you can dial in perfectly. Like all guitars the frets may need a bit of leveling here or there to get it silky smooth, but once it's done it's like a hot knife through butter.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

This is in response to " wmanson123" .....

Anyone reading the post mentioned, DO NOT, repeat DO NOT follow the procedure suggested !!! ...unless you want to snap your neck. How anyone could possibly think that would be an acceptable procedure is beyond me ! ...The truss rod adjuster is on the other end of the neck, on the butt end. The headstock access is the anchor for the rod, via the set screw ....

Archived