Scale length problem

Branden

• Members

Can I trim down the end of the Ibanez Wizard neck that fits into the neck pocket so that it decreases the scale length of my guitar by just over an 1/8th of an inch to correct an intonation problem? I was made a guitar body apparently CNC machined to exact specifications of an Ibanez RG body. But it has increased the scale of my guitar by just over an 1/8th of an inch. I have confirmed this by attaching my neck to both the old and new body and measuring. And sure enough, the new one puts the trem posts a little over an 1/8th of an inch further from the nut than the original stock ibanez body. I had my guitars intonation set perfectly with the old body, but with the new one, it is way off. All my Floyd Rose saddles are set as far forward as they will go, and my fretted notes are still falling flat. Getting progressively worse towards the upper frets. Help please!

• Members

Yes theoretically, you could slice off a few mm from the heel of the neck.

I'd consider the following points:

• Once complete, are you going to keep the guitar?
  • Are you likely to want to use the neck on any other body?
  • How desperate are you to get this guitar put together vs trying to get the body sorted?
  • Can the neck pocket be routed a bit deeper so the neck sits properly?

If this sorts the problem and you end up with a nice guitar which you keep for years and years and then sell it as a complete guitar which someone else treasures for years and years then I see no problem with it. Makes no odds to me really, it's your guitar. 

• Members

Ratae Coritanorum wrote:

Sorry, why is adding 1/8" to the length of the neck pocket not the right answer?

I think the neck pickup is too close to the neck pocket. I'm not sure, I don't have an RG and I can't be arsed to google it.

• Members

Can I trim down the end of the Ibanez Wizard neck that fits into the neck pocket so that it decreases the scale length of my guitar by just over an 1/8th of an inch to correct an intonation problem?

Yes. The easiest method is to trim the neck end AND elongate the neck-pocket holes on the body to slide the neck back...OR plug/drill new holes in the neck.

• Members

Ratae Coritanorum wrote:

Sorry, why is adding 1/8" to the length of the neck pocket not the right answer?

I was going to take a photo of my RG560 (same HSS config the OP wants), but I figured it'd probably be easier to just steal one from somewhere on the internet. You can see in the pic below that the neck pickup sits pretty much right up next to the end of the neck. So there isn't anywhere to move the neck further in, unless maybe you took some of that excess off after the 24th fret.

RG560

To me, ruining a perfectly good genuine Ibanez neck to suit a poorly made copy body seems misguided.

Archived