Flying with a guitar---neck and body in a suitcase?

cheezit66

• Members

I'm flying with a cheap guitar (GFS partscaster strat) soon and I don't have a flight case.  Plus I've heard horror stories about the luggage handlers anyway.  Not for a gig, so I don't need it ready to go when I land.  So how crazy is this:

- take the strings off

- loosen the truss rod

- take the neck off

- put the neck and body in my carryon suitcase, surrounded by clothes/etc.

- reassemble and set up when I land and unpack

?

• Members

Yeah but why can't you just get a gig bag and carry it on as your +1 item? I've never had problem doing this and I think this is the best way, especially for a bolt-on style guitar. Just wait until people have loaded their bags up on the overhead. You will find that you can usually squeeze your gig bag above all the bags so that it is snug and doesn't move throughout the flight. Then when you land, grab your guitar and it's ready to go.

• Members

honeyiscool wrote:

Yeah but why can't you just get a gig bag and carry it on as your +1 item? I've never had problem doing this and I think this is the best way, especially for a bolt-on style guitar. Just wait until people have loaded their bags up on the overhead. You will find that you can usually squeeze your gig bag above all the bags so that it is snug and doesn't move throughout the flight. Then when you land, grab your guitar and it's ready to go.

Not every airline allows this so you take your chances doing this.  I'm sure you will disagree though, heaven forbid someone else can be right about something.

Archived