Jeff Hanneman RIP

noisebloom

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just found this out on another site. Man I'm shocked. I thought it would only be a matter of time before he recovered and got slaying on the guitar again. But this - totally unexpected. Rest in peace Jeff.

• Members

v

The band just posted the following to their Facebook page.

Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964

• Members

jpnyc wrote:

Somewhere a death metal band is at work on the tribute song
Devoured by Necrotizing Fascitis.

don't steal my thunder, man.  i'm up to the third versus.  there's a sick breakdown in there too so the mosh pit can go nuts...

• Members

I just came back from an Opeth concert and found out there, when they said they dedicated the show to him.

Never was into Slayer, but it's sad to see anyone pass. I hope his friends and family find comfort.

• Members

GreatDane,

The guy was into the devil. I find all this Rest in Peace, etc... to be offensive to his memory because that wasn't the image he pushed for many years.

If you truly respect the man at least wish for him something which he wanted.

You'll never touch God's hand

You'll never taste God's breath

Because you'll never see the Second Coming

Life's too short to be focused on insanity

I've seen the ways of God I'll take the Devil any day, hail Satan

Your faith has atrophied And rots in Hell's asylum Despondence tears you down

A free-falling social stain

Escape atrocity

They say your life can change If you take God's hand

Embrace rebirth

Your cleansing's so divine

To be reborn to God's lies

You'll never touch God's hand

You'll never taste God's breath

Because you'll never see the Second Coming

It's all a {censored}ing mockery, no grasp upon reality It's mind control for compulsory religion

And the Skeleton Christ

• Members

I only wish to respect what was his chosen path and the image that gave him his financial livelihood.

To do otherwise is disrespectful to the man. Wishing him peace and so forth is forcing your morality upon his memory.

He made money and peddled influence to many people by glorifying Satan. I'm not talking about a song or two, but an entire persona based upon pentagrams and so forth.

The man chose his path and followed it for many years. Although I do not agree with his choices I will wish him what he preached and won't pervert his memory by stating otherwise.

• Members

Call me crazy, a guy that spends 30 years or so writing songs glorifying the devil and selling merchandise with pentagrams and playing music that proclaims he would take Satan over God kind of tells me that the guy was pretty into that stuff and pretty serious about it and it did make him wealthy, good for him.

This guy was either genuine or he was a poser. I don't recall him ever having a Moloch moment and changing his image like in that episode of CHiPs.

Also, I don't know a lot about the Catholic church and maybe the singer for Slayer is a Catholic but calling him a devout Catholic seems either insulting to the Church or maybe the Vatican is now sanctioning satanic rock bands. Sounds like he's probably a cafeteria Catholic, at best.

No offense to any Catholics, but calling a member of a Satanic band devout is a little 'out there' to say the least. It would be like saying Ernhard Milch was a good Jew.

• Members

Jefff Hanneman

In this picture, you can see that the grafts extended from just above his wrist, to up and over the bicep. Necrotizing Fasciitis destroys muscle as well as skin. This picture was taken at Coachella last year, and he had rehab'ed enough to physically only be able to play one song, and insisted to be able to for the event. 

The man helped pioneer an age and genre in heavy metal music, and has influenced countless players.

• Members

Also, if that song was supposed to be a poke at organized religion then why is a guy who is a Devout Catholic singing it?

I don't see how saying someone in a band like Slayer is blurring the lines or pushing edges. I could see if I used Sympathy for the Devil to say Charlie Watts was a member of a Satanic band but there is a difference between a band that write a song or two from a perspective and a band that defined themselves by a religious symbol like a cross or pentagram.

With your logic I guess maybe Lincoln Brewster is probably hoping to go to hell despite singing almost exclusively about Jesus and Cat Stevens is a Rabbi when he's not singing about Allah.

Maybe you don't see Devil worship in Slayer's music. I suppose Stryper's To Hell With the Devil was really about cowboys or sausages, they just had an ironic image, precursors to the hipsters.

• Members

BG76 wrote:

Call me crazy, a guy that spends 30 years or so writing songs glorifying the devil and selling merchandise with pentagrams and playing music that proclaims he would take Satan over God kind of tells me that the guy was pretty into that stuff and pretty serious about it and it did make him wealthy, good for him.

This guy was either genuine or he was a poser. I don't recall him ever having a Moloch moment and changing his image like in that episode of CHiPs.

Also, I don't know a lot about the Catholic church and maybe the singer for Slayer is a Catholic but calling him a devout Catholic seems either insulting to the Church or maybe the Vatican is now sanctioning satanic rock bands. Sounds like he's probably a cafeteria Catholic, at best.

No offense to any Catholics, but calling a member of a Satanic band devout is a little 'out there' to say the least. It would be like saying Ernhard Milch was a good Jew.

And Sir Anthony Hopkins will burn for his portrayal of Hannibal Lechter... Which is sad, because I love fava beans..

• Members

I don't know what him having an arm injury has to do with him making a career out of promoting a satanic message over several decades.

I feel sorry for the man for his suffering, I just don't understand what it had to do with the religiousessage he glorified.

I could see saying someone was "blurring the lines" or "pushing on edges" to say a band with a pentagram as its logo and who sang almost exclusively about the devil probably didn't wish towns up in heaven. I see that as logical a conclusion then thinking someone like Lincoln Brewster wants to be in heaven with Jesus.

As for Anthony Hopkins I think that's kind of a "blurring the edges" thing in my opinion. As far as I know the guy was in a movie. I don't know if his complete persona was devil glorification like Slayer.

Maybe it was I never saw that movie but I would guess it's a "pushing the edge" type of thing like saying John Lennon was a devil worshiper for hisJesus comment or that Bill Wyman is a devil worshiper because of SFD, which if Slayer had written a couple songs from the satanic perspective 40 years ago I could maybe see.

• Members

The Rover,

You don't have very good reading comprehension skills. I understand that life is very hard for people who comprehend based on emotion and miss the words on the page. Usually people like this revert to name calling and ridiculous assumptions.

As I have previously stated, I feel sorry for the guy for his suffering. It sounds like he was Ina lot of pain.

Because I respect people's beliefs I hope he is not in heaven because his career was made by pushing Satanism as being what he was about.

I have to assume he wasn't some poser who profited off selling pentagram merchandise and then went home to read the bible and pray.even if he were agnostic wishing him some sort of peaceful afterlife would seem insulting to the man's belief system.

I am not a Christian. Again, your reading comprehension skills have failed you. I'm sorry they're not better. If they were your life may be less frustrating and your vocabulary more vast.

Archived