acoustics.

GreatDane

• Members

it's been humid this weekend, so i took the acoustics out for an extended stay on the guitar stands so they could grab a nice "drink".  thought i'd snap a pic if any of you were interested.  i also have a banjo and a mandolin, but they weren't out when i snapped this shot.

both are early 2000s Martins.  A D35 on the left and a D-18VS on the right.  i enjoy both for different reasons.  

functionally, the D35 has better upper fret access, and has a lower action.  the neck carve is much rounder than on the D-18, and a little thinner.  The D-18 has a pronounced V-shape neck carve, that i find comfortable, and is more full than the D35.  The D35 is a cannon; I have to play much lighter than i might normally play in order to pull off more subtle fingerstyle passages.  it wants to be loud and booming and brash and assertive.  the D-18 has a lot more finesse.  it allows more a greater degree of intimacy between instrument and player.  

maybe to sum it up; i always feel like crooning when i have the D-18 in hand.  I feel like kicking down doors with the D35.  

v

how about you?  what do you have on the acoustic end of your guitar collection?

• Members

Martin 020.JPG

Gibson J45 024.JPG

Up top is a Martin HD-28...down below, a Gibson J45. The differences between the two can almost be described in the same manner that Great Dane described the differences between his two Martins. The HD-28 is also a cannon, similar to a D28, but a tiny bit louder, with a bit more pronounced lows and highs. The J45 has a slighly thinner, but sweeter sound. If I'm in the mood for mostly strumming, I generally reach for the HD-28; if I'm doing more fingerpicking, I generally reach for the J45. I will say that the scale lenght of the J45 makes it a bit more friendly to play for me, but the Martin is by no means uncomfortable. 

• Members

I have three a Takamine acoustic electric (cheap, ugly guitar that plays great and sounds fantastic plugged in), a Larrivee dreadnought (rosewood back and sides, well balanced and beautiful sounding, but no electronics) and a 1951 Epiphone Devon archtop (family heirloom, cool but played least).

• Members

Taylor GA-3.  Great guitar.  I need another for alternate tunings.  I have a very very nice Alvarez that I don't play.  I will sell it eventually, hopefully.  I took the finish off the neck of the Taylor and will do so to anymore acoustics I keep, I just like unfinished necks.  I didn't feel like destroying the Alvarez by taking the finish off because I probably won't be able to afford acquiring more of them, if they are even available.  I like the Taylor necks and can get them in different woods and body sizes at a variety of pricepoints which are much more affordable/available.

ga3.jpg

yairi.jpg

• Members

beach bum wrote:

I don't have any photo's yet but i've just got one ofthe new gibson j35's and it is the best acoustic i've ever played.

Tried one of those out in the store a couple of weeks ago; fabulous guitar.  At the $1700-1800 street price it's a real bargain.  I think it may be better than the current j45.

I have a 1974 Martin D-18 that sings, a 1980 or so OM-35 that has a deeper tone and is more of a boomer but is harder to play, and a Carvin Cobalt 250 that I picked up last week as a beach guitar.  I don't have digital pictures of any of them, which gives me some excuse to get a group shot this week.

Archived