X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acoustics.

it's been humid this weekend, so i took the acoustics out for an extended stay on the guitar stands so they could grab a nice "drink".  thought i'd snap a pic if any of you were interested.  i also have a banjo and a mandolin, but they weren't out when i snapped this shot.

both are early 2000s Martins.  A D35 on the left and a D-18VS on the right.  i enjoy both for different reasons.  

functionally, the D35 has better upper fret access, and has a lower action.  the neck carve is much rounder than on the D-18, and a little thinner.  The D-18 has a pronounced V-shape neck carve, that i find comfortable, and is more full than the D35.  The D35 is a cannon; I have to play much lighter than i might normally play in order to pull off more subtle fingerstyle passages.  it wants to be loud and booming and brash and assertive.  the D-18 has a lot more finesse.  it allows more a greater degree of intimacy between instrument and player.  

maybe to sum it up; i always feel like crooning when i have the D-18 in hand.  I feel like kicking down doors with the D35.  

v

how about you?  what do you have on the acoustic end of your guitar collection?

Attached Files
    INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

You have some fine instruments.  I had too much difficulty playing acoustics, and I suspect it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    Hate is like taking poison, hoping the other guy gets sick.

How above being tricked are you? Take the test
    ---->
    HERE

Comment

• Tone Deaf
      Tone Deaf commented
      Editing a comment

Martin 020.JPG

Gibson J45 024.JPG

Up top is a Martin HD-28...down below, a Gibson J45. The differences between the two can almost be described in the same manner that Great Dane described the differences between his two Martins. The HD-28 is also a cannon, similar to a D28, but a tiny bit louder, with a bit more pronounced lows and highs. The J45 has a slighly thinner, but sweeter sound. If I'm in the mood for mostly strumming, I generally reach for the HD-28; if I'm doing more fingerpicking, I generally reach for the J45. I will say that the scale lenght of the J45 makes it a bit more friendly to play for me, but the Martin is by no means uncomfortable. 

Attached Files

I have three a Takamine acoustic electric (cheap, ugly guitar that plays great and sounds fantastic plugged in), a Larrivee dreadnought (rosewood back and sides, well balanced and beautiful sounding, but no electronics) and a 1951 Epiphone Devon archtop (family heirloom, cool but played least).
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

• Bucksstudent
      Bucksstudent commented
      Editing a comment

My Tacoma DM9 (From 2009 or so. I don't remember.)

photo EleventhShoot.jpg photo 7thshoot2.jpg

photo 7thshoot5.jpg

Good stuff so far. Let's see some more!
    INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

Comment

@nuke: which one did you bring to see Tommy E?

Comment

I don't have any photo's yet but i've just got one ofthe new gibson j35's and it is the best acoustic i've ever played.

Comment

• PurpleTrails
      PurpleTrails commented
      Editing a comment

beach bum wrote:

I don't have any photo's yet but i've just got one ofthe new gibson j35's and it is the best acoustic i've ever played.

Tried one of those out in the store a couple of weeks ago; fabulous guitar.  At the $1700-1800 street price it's a real bargain.  I think it may be better than the current j45.

I have a 1974 Martin D-18 that sings, a 1980 or so OM-35 that has a deeper tone and is more of a boomer but is harder to play, and a Carvin Cobalt 250 that I picked up last week as a beach guitar.  I don't have digital pictures of any of them, which gives me some excuse to get a group shot this week.

I went through an acoustic phase. I played my Larrivee every day, and hardly even took my electrics out of their cases, let alone plug them in.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

• ugameus
      ugameus commented
      Editing a comment

Taylor GA-3.  Great guitar.  I need another for alternate tunings.  I have a very very nice Alvarez that I don't play.  I will sell it eventually, hopefully.  I took the finish off the neck of the Taylor and will do so to anymore acoustics I keep, I just like unfinished necks.  I didn't feel like destroying the Alvarez by taking the finish off because I probably won't be able to afford acquiring more of them, if they are even available.  I like the Taylor necks and can get them in different woods and body sizes at a variety of pricepoints which are much more affordable/available.

ga3.jpg

yairi.jpg

Attached Files

@alexilaiho

No need to get photos approved, you just have to use the tool to link, insert, and name your photo (only from desktop, though).

Comment

Working...
    X