What's the term for chords such as D/F#, A/C#, G/G#?

Yer Blues

• Members

I understand they are pronounced D over F#, A over C#, and G over G#... but what is the terminology? 

For example, adding a 4th you get a sus4, adding a 2nd you get a sus2, adding a 9th you get an add9. 

I've been listening to a ton of Eric Gales lately and noticed he moves the bass notes around a lot on chords... like the jam with Shawn Lane is Am, F, G, G/G#.   Now I realize I know a ton of songs with those type of chords, but I don't know what the terminology is...

• Members

They are indeed slash chords.... Don't know why I tried to make things more complicated than they are.  :)

From wiki:

In popular music a slash chord or slashed chord, also compound chord, is a chord whose bass note or inversion is indicated by the addition of a slash and the letter of the bass after the root note letter. It does not indicate "or".[1]

• Members

D/F# would be F# over D.  The letter after the slash refers to the bass note played with that chord.  I play in a praise/worship group, and the chord charts we use have lots of them.  We just refer to them as F# over D or C# over A....   Some would be nearly impossible to play on guitar, so I suspect they are also intended for keyboard and bass players.

• Members

stormin1155 wrote:

D/F# would be F# over D.  The letter after the slash refers to the bass note played with that chord.  I play in a praise/worship group, and the chord charts we use have lots of them.  We just refer to them as F# over D or C# over A....   Some would be nearly impossible to play on guitar, so I suspect they are also intended for keyboard and bass players.

That makes sense to me, but this site says otherwise...

D/F# - (pronounced "D over F#")

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa031401h.htm

• Members

stormin1155 wrote:

. . . I play in a praise/worship group, and the chord charts we use have lots of them. . . . Some would be nearly impossible to play on guitar, so I suspect they are also intended for keyboard and bass players.

Praise/worship music--at least the stuff our praise band does--has lots of crazy stuff in it. Our bass player normally plays the note after the slash but some stuff is just plain screwy. Once there was a G7/F, which put the 7th in the bass. He played a G and it sounded fine.

Archived