EMG 24v Mod..............Is it dangerous?

mda96bjh

• Members

Hi all

Didn't want to chisel out my guitars insides to do the 18v mod on my EMG's so found a little device that allows me to push 24v through the standard single socket!!

Sounds pretty good now to be honest....lots of extra tone & makes my EMG's sound more passive but still meaty

Just wondered if 24v long term would damage the pups in any way??

Thanks

• Members

But if you google for improving your tone you don't find much about adding more batteries to your guitar

:facepalm::confused::confused:

Thats because this thread is only referring to active EMG's.......which need batteries......

And commonly people use 2 batteries to improve their tone....

I was only trying to find out if i was gonna ruin my guitar, or wether i would be safe to experiment for a while!!

• Members

Where the hell does the 24 volt mod come from....? Isn't this the 27 volt mod? unless my math is horribly wrong 9+9+9=27. To half the people who posted....Pull head from ass than post about what the "24 volt mod" will sound like and how it will work. Jesus....

Just for the record: Even EMG says that 27v doesn't makes much of a difference compared to 18v - at least on guitars.

• Members

Where the hell does the 24 volt mod come from....? Isn't this the 27 volt mod? unless my math is horribly wrong 9+9+9=27. To half the people who posted....Pull head from ass than post about what the "24 volt mod" will sound like and how it will work. Jesus....

Just for the record: Even EMG says that 27v doesn't makes much of a difference compared to 18v - at least on guitars.

What are you on about I never said 3 x 9v......

I said 2 x 12v

Please see link for gadget i am referring to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMG-pickups-24-v-modification-kit-for-81-85-60-S-Bass_W0QQitemZ300272913365QQihZ020QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

How on earth does this work and how can you get it to go in your guitar?

My guitar has a little battery door that swings open for easy battery changes

but if I could get more headroom for clean tones it would be worth a try.

see my link above non-believers

:evil:

• 4 years later...
  • Members

The 18 volt mod makes you sound twice as fast as the 9 volt.

The 24 volt makes you sound awfully close to the 27 volt in a nice way.

The 27 volt version makes your guitar extra heavy with super battery weight.

The 400 volt option blows the top of your guitar off.

OK maybe not.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I know this is an old thread, but I'm currently doing the 18V mod on an Epi Prophecy SG EX with the EMG 81/85 combo.

The 24V mod will in no way harm active pups. However, I have my doubts how it can improve things in the same way the 18V mod does because the 23A 12V batteries simply cannot supply the current the EMG's demand. It functions and changes the sound I'm sure, but looking at the spec sheets for the EMG's and the Energizer 23A alkaline battery, to me it looks like the EMG's would be current starved with significant voltage droop (not the good kind). Feel free to correct my math, Thrifty Bids or anyone else who can explain how the 23A battery could possibly be up to the challenge. I know tons of these 24V mod kits have been sold, but I'm still skeptical of the 23A battery.

So I'm going with the two 9V batteries in series for 18V, which have voltage and current to spare and then some. I'm just working out how to fit the two 9V batteries into the body of the guitar. There are a few ways to do it... the most involved is to use a router to cut out a larger area to accommodate a dual 9V battery holder, or add a second holder of the same type already on the guitar. I can also remove the stock battery compartment altogether. With that out of the way on this particular guitar, two 9V batteries can be stacked sideways and just barely fit in the cutout. Then I could just have an aluminum piece cut to size and paint it black for the battery cover. Will have to remove four screws to change the battery each time, but with 9V alkaline or better yet lithium, I wouldn't have to replace batteries but once a year... maybe longer.

Archived