Les Paul jr. P90 pickup suggestions

ChristianTimn

• Members

I'm thinking about buying an Epiphone lpjr, and changing the pickup to a p90, and well as changing the tuners, rewiring, etc.. But anyways, would it be a good idea to just get a stock Gibson p90, or should I opt for a more expensive option? I will be using the guitar mostly for distorted tones, (Punk-ish kind of stuff, as well as rock and indie). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Members

gibson p90s have a great rep. but I have an overwound lollar and it brings the rock. some think p90s should be low wind and mellow but I like them gnarly and mean. and since youre only buying one why not splurge and get a lollar or fralin or any of the booteeky flavors, cant go wrong. On the other hand you could splurge and get a vintage gibson p90 too.  lots of choices, with p90s like tele pickups its hard to mess one up. ,

• Members

From all I've heard, Gibson's humbucker-sized P90 (the P94?) is not as good as the competition.  The Seymour Duncan Phat Cat is a great choice, and I've heard it leans towards the mean side of the tracks as well. 

Also check with Bryan Gunsher of BG Pickups (Norcal-Gtr on this forum).  He makes a great P90 and, last I checked, offers a discount to forumites.  I've bought 3 pickups from him and they're all great. 

• Members

May I suggest trying to find an old Epi LP Jr from ~97 or around then, they already have a p90 in it. Just upgrade the wiring and pots and try out the stock p90. I did just that and am REALLY enjoying it. 

Here's the Stock p90 Jr (red one obviously)

DSCF3705.JPG

And here's my handywork (50s wiring)

DSCF3705.JPG

Then it you're still not happy then try an expensive pickup.

Total spend on this

• Members

plasticscouse wrote:

May I suggest trying to find an old Epi LP Jr from ~97 or around then, they already have a p90 in it. Just upgrade the wiring and pots and try out the stock p90. I did just that and am REALLY enjoying it. 

Here's the Stock p90 Jr (red one obviously)

DSCF3705.JPG

And here's my handywork (50s wiring)

DSCF3705.JPG

Then it you're still not happy then try an expensive pickup.

Total spend on this

• Members

Alecto wrote:

From all I've heard, Gibson's humbucker-sized P90 (the P94?) is not as good as the competition.  The Seymour Duncan Phat Cat is a great choice, and I've heard it leans towards the mean side of the tracks as well. 

Also check with Bryan Gunsher of BG Pickups (Norcal-Gtr on this forum).  He makes a great P90 and, last I checked, offers a discount to forumites.  I've bought 3 pickups from him and they're all great. 

I'm a huge P90 fan. I much prefer the P94 over the Phat Cat. I do agree on BGs. I have a set of Bryan's P90s. Very nice!

Archived