Gibson Restoration Shop Work

HCRobe

• Members

If there was a gold undercoat that sounds like a Candy Apple Red more than Wine Red. (Wait, isn't Candy Apple Red red over silver metallic?)

My guess on the repair: $599

Do they really mean if you don't pay they'll send it to be burned for firewood?

• Members

If there was a gold undercoat that sounds like a Candy Apple Red more than Wine Red. (Wait, isn't Candy Apple Red red over silver metallic?)

My guess on the repair: $599

Do they really mean if you don't pay they'll send it to be burned for firewood?

No, it was a wine red, darker than candy apple.

I'm exaggerating but they did say 30 days to pay after complete or they would sell the instrument. Can you just see Ethiopians huddled around burning explorers and SGs?

• Members

btw that paul is {censored}ing sweet.

if you ever need to have it find a new loving owner you lemme know
:thu:

Thanks, it's a very heavy guitar, ain't no weight relief on this one.

It still plays pretty good, and it has a ton of sentimental value to me. I'll probably be buried with this one.

Now, if you're not above grave robbing...:thu:

• Members

Thanks, it's a very heavy guitar, ain't no weight relief on this one.

It still plays pretty good, and it has a ton of sentimental value to me. I'll probably be buried with this one.

Now, if you're not above grave robbing...
:thu:

hmm. . . . . . :poke::poke:

my the paul is stupid heavy and 100% walnut except for the ebony fretboard. . . . i will be buried with that guitar.

• Members

hmm. . . . . . :poke::poke:

my the paul is stupid heavy and 100% walnut except for the ebony fretboard. . . . i will be buried with that guitar.

so now it's a race to the death....

:eek:

• Members

Their doing a re-fret as well?

$75.00 to evaluate?

After hearing about Gibson pricing, I'll venture to guess $2500.00+ - a few $s.

Considering they won't stop factory prodution to repair it, and probably the other team is the Custom team I would say 2500+ is about right.

Why not take it to a luthier, you know, a guy who can actually do a refret.

• Members

No, it was a wine red, darker than candy apple.

I'm exaggerating but they did say 30 days to pay after complete or they would sell the instrument. Can you just see Ethiopians huddled around burning explorers and SGs?

Looked quite a bit lighter than wine red in the cavity. Or is the dark color on the sides the original color?

What is this something that is the prize?

• Members

Considering they won't stop factory prodution to repair it, and probably the other team is the Custom team I would say 2500+ is about right.

Why not take it to a luthier, you know, a guy who can actually do a refret.

I guess my main goal is the painting and finishing, the re-fret is a 'might as well get it done so i can play it when it comes back' thought.

Hopefully they'll itemize my request and I can determine which services I want gibson to do and which I can get locally.

They do seem to be soliciting for all kinds of repair work, not neccesarily custom shop type stuff:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/RepairAndRestoration/What%20We%20Do/

The "prize" was a joke, sorry, I didn't think anyone would take that seriously. I'll amend my OP.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I also know that this is an old thread but surely Gibson 'could' do anything you wanted to the guitar? They've been making instruments for over 100 years, they must be able to fix one up and re-paint it...

I'm just saying.

• Members

Nope, never got it done, never got the estimate.  Re-planned to get some of the work done locally but life got in the way...

And the wife getting me a goldtop traditional for xmas.

So the XR-1 is back in the case, waiting for me to get it the refret it desperately needs. 

• Members

I just restored mine including refret. Awesome guitar. I need a favor. Can you take a picture of the inside of your XR1 control cavity? I especially need a good clean photo of that coil tap switch. I need to rewire my guitar and no one has a diagram.

Greatly appreciated. Email photo if you can to 1977lespaul@gmail.com

V

Frank

• Members

Sure Frank, I'll take pics this weekend.  BTW, what color is yours?

I was thinking Gibson mainly because I thought they should be able to do their color exactly, It's not just a stock color, the gold underpaint is probably a large factor.  The finish was not metallic, but it had a certain glow to it.  I have never seen it on another guitar.  except other XR-1s.  Here's a pic of one I found for sale on Ebay a while ago.  I just figured if Gibson is going to do the finishing they might as well do the fretwork and adjustments.

81061602\_1.jpg

alex9152 wrote:

If there was a gold undercoat that sounds like a Candy Apple Red more than Wine Red. (Wait, isn't Candy Apple Red red over silver metallic?) d?

CAR was originally trans red over silver. Fender switched to trans red over gold for candy apple red sometime around 1965. I'm not sure that Gibson has ever done a lot of stuff in CAR - wine red and cherry red are far more common on Gibsons.

Archived