X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get a "growly" guitar tone?

I want that mean growly tone like what bass guitars get, only I want it for my electric guitar. I'm in a stoner/doom band called steam and I need this tone. Help, and thank you in advance
    Big rocks got stacked on top of each other. Is this proof of alien life? Yes it is

p90s plus fuzz.

Listen...

Comment

• Alexilaiho
      Alexilaiho commented
      Editing a comment
      Will anything besides p-90s work? If not i can get dragonfire h-90s( p-90 in humbucker size)

^^^
    This. Try an SG Classic or Reissue with a fuzz face and a British tube amp.

Comment

• Alexilaiho
      Alexilaiho commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have $10,000 just waiting to be burned up. I should have mentioned I need to do this with my current gear (peavey sc-2, digitech rp-7, peavey envoy 110 and a sundown rover15

Take your guitar to a store and try out fuzz pedals until you find one you like.

Comment

• Alexilaiho
      Alexilaiho commented
      Editing a comment
      The rp-7 has built in fuzz

You can try mixing in a bit of auto-wah to make it have a more vocal sound if your unit has it.

Comment

Growling, bass-like tone, IMO, is just pushed clean with a bit of overdrive, playing lower notes.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

• docjeffrey
        docjeffrey commented
        Editing a comment
        Daisy chain 6 Bixonic Expandoras and run them into a well used Fender Tweed Deluxe with everything turned up to 12:-)

@alexilaiho

They generally have a midrange character that easily produces a little growl and some "meanness." It's pretty easy to get rock and roll tones with P90s, and they're good at the growl sounds.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

Do you tune down?  If not, try tuning down 1 (D) or 2 (C) whole steps.  You may need thicker strings, although Tony Iommi was able to get away with lighter strings tuned down to C#.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture<br>

Comment

• Alexilaiho
          Alexilaiho commented
          Editing a comment
          I down tune to C standard and use 9 thru 42

Tone is in the beard!

Comment

Holy **************** that's low, and with those thin strings... You ever have tuning issues? Anyway, given howow you tune, have you ever considered using a bass amp? Eden Nemesis amps kick ass and they bring the growl on the bass.

Comment

• Alexilaiho
            Alexilaiho commented
            Editing a comment
            No tuning issues even during sessions of whammy wankery and Im using a strat bridge. I have thought about an ash down bass amp but could not afford one, but the good I can buy a behringer fuzz pedal now because I got a bullwhip ready to ship out to the customer

Blackstar HT-1RH...E standard tuning/9-42's  

Noticed I can get a good "growly" sound by engaging the overdrive button/and OR kranking the amps gain knob AND closing/turning down the tone knobs on the guitar as far as they will go.

Comment

Working...
          X