made some changes in my music room

mistersully

• Members

my room is a converted garage with a storage section off the side... it had horrible carpet in it, so i ripped it up, painted the slab and threw a few rugs down in the main section

that left the side bit

haven't been sure what to do with this space

my mixer has a fan in it, and my more sensitive mics can pick it up (along with the computer noise) so i wanted some isolation... i decided to build a wall... plaster the walls and put a timber floor down... it's now used for recording vocals and acoustic instruments (guitars... djembe/other percussion)

i have some of my mics permanently set up in there... i usually have them covered to keep dust from getting to them

and here's a few shots of the main area... i recently sold my drum kits but i'll be looking to pick up another roland v drum kit at some stage to trigger bfd2... for now i'm just programming drums or using a keyboard to trigger them

my mixer (midas venice F24) is actually my audio interface... it hooks up to the macbook pro via 1 firewire cable... i record through it and send all the tracks back out of logic to the mixer for mixdown... that way i can use the mixer's analogue eq... plus stuff like harware compressors on the inserts.. and hardware reverb on the aux's

my rack... which i'll slowly fill... i use a combination of hardware and plugins

rack.JPG

anyway.. that's about it... it's not pretty but it's functional... i have everything set up so i can just plug in and play, which is bloody great.. eg. all the mics are hooked up to sperate preamps... all the compressors are patched into the mixer... i just have to tidy the leads up and i'm done for now

i'll put a timber floor down in the main area at some stage but it can wait... the mixing area sounds good because of all the bass trapping i've built

thought i'd share

here's a couple more pics

• Members

mistersully wrote:

my room is a converted garage with a storage section off the side... it had horrible carpet in it, so i ripped it up, painted the slab and threw a few rugs down in the main section

that left the side bit

haven't been sure what to do with this space

my mixer has a fan in it, and my more sensitive mics can pick it up (along with the computer noise) so i wanted some isolation... i decided to build a wall... plaster the walls and put a timber floor down... it's now used for recording vocals and acoustic instruments (guitars... djembe/other percussion)

i have some of my mics permanently set up in there... i usually have them covered to keep dust from getting to them

and here's a few shots of the main area... i recently sold my drum kits but i'll be looking to pick up another roland v drum kit at some stage to trigger bfd2... for now i'm just programming drums or using a keyboard to trigger them

my mixer (midas venice F24) is actually my audio interface... it hooks up to the macbook pro via 1 firewire cable... i record through it and send all the tracks back out of logic to the mixer for mixdown... that way i can use the mixer's analogue eq... plus stuff like harware compressors on the inserts.. and hardware reverb on the aux's

my rack... which i'll slowly fill... i use a combination of hardware and plugins

rack.JPG

anyway.. that's about it... it's not pretty but it's functional... i have everything set up so i can just plug in and play, which is bloody great.. eg. all the mics are hooked up to sperate preamps... all the compressors are patched into the mixer... i just have to tidy the leads up and i'm done for now

i'll put a timber floor down in the main area at some stage but it can wait... the mixing area sounds good because of all the bass trapping i've built

thought i'd share

here's a couple more pics

frickin fantastic.  you deserve that, Dave.  it's awesome!

• Members

thanks guys... it's been a journey getting to this point... you should have seen the room when we bought the place

at our last place i had a tiny little shack up the back yard... when i was in there i could hear both the neighbours next door, and over the back, having a conversation, so it was impossible to really do anything in there

i wrapped that i've finally got this room set up how i want... i got so sick and tired of tripping over leads and having to spend time getting everything set up every time i wanted to do anything

having the kemper profiling amp has definitely made life a lot easier too

one thing i didn't mention is i have an app on the ipad that works as a controller for logic via wifi... so i can go into my vocal room and shut the door, then control the music software with the ipad... it's great to simply be able to hit play/record/stop... that's what i mainly use it for

• Members

stormin1155 wrote:

Nicely done!  What do you use for acoustic panels?

i pretty much make them like this

although i can't get the same stuff here in australia, so i did the reasearch and ended up going with a product called tontine acoustisorb 3... i use hessian (burlap) to cover them

having all that bass trapping has made a world of difference... making it yourself is definitely the way to go

• Members

mistersully wrote:

thanks guys... it's been a journey getting to this point... you should have seen the room when we bought the place

at our last place i had a tiny little shack up the back yard... when i was in there i could hear both the neighbours next door, and over the back, having a conversation, so it was impossible to really do anything in there

i wrapped that i've finally got this room set up how i want... i got so sick and tired of tripping over leads and having to spend time getting everything set up every time i wanted to do anything

having the kemper profiling amp has definitely made life a lot easier too

one thing i didn't mention is i have an app on the ipad that works as a controller for logic via wifi... so i can go into my vocal room and shut the door, then control the music software with the ipad... it's great to simply be able to hit play/record/stop... that's what i mainly use it for

Any clips?

Archived