What kind of pickups do you have in your Strats?

Yer Blues

• Members

I have a Jimmie Vaughan Strat with Tex Mex single coils. It sounds like a Strat, but when I've made pickup upgrades in the past I have always noticed an improved sound. Would something like Dimarzio's Area set be an upgrade? There are so many great Strat type sounds from a variety of musicians. Current Strat guys I like a lot are Eric Gales, Andy Timmons, Eric Johnson, Carl Verheyen, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Herring (although he has humbuckers in his Strats). Of course, these guys sound great playing anything.

• Members

My first guitar was a USA strat, and is my main guitar still. Popped the 'guard off when I was 15 and found out that the pickups are these:

http://www.vanzandtpu.com/pickups.html

As for which ones? I'm thinking the vintage plus or blues. I'm not sure honestly as I don't really play blues and run my guitar either really clean with delay or under walls of fuzz.

• Members

Fender Texas Specials (full set in one, neck and middle in another), Duncan JB Jr (in the bridge of my partscaster), Fender 57/62 set (stock in my 60th Anniversary Commemorative Strat), and a stock Squier humbucker in my Bullet. I like them all and would never dream of changing them! Even the Squier!

I used to have an MIM Standard Strat with GFS Premium Vintage Alnicos in there. They were quite nice - the same vibe as the 57/62, but not as glassy. I traded the guitar to fund another Gibson, since it got no play time next to my USA Strats.

Had a s

• Members

I have the stock pickups in my Hendrix VooDoo Strat. They sound cool but I had a set of Texas Specials in a Strat Plus ( I've since sold) that I liked a lot. I'm probably too lazy to change them in my VooDoo as I'm more of a 'bucker guy these days.

• Members

Thanks for the replies.  I'm kind of on the fence about paying extra for something like Kinmans, Fralins, or Lollars vs. Duncans or Dimarzios.  I really only have experience with Duncan's and have been very happy with them.  I really want to stay true to a Strat sound though, i.e. no humbuckers.

I do like the guitar alot and it is very comfortable to play, so it may be worth investing in it.  I will talk to the bass player tomorrow at band practice and see if he is interested in swapping them out/showing me how to do it.  Nice guy and in passing he said he would do it.  I'm pretty sure he could swap out all the pots and stuff like that, too.  He recently got a 6 string bass with active pickups and preamps that he swapped out.

• Members

I always wire the bridge to a tone. I leave the neck pickup without a tone, as I never use one there. It's useful on the other two pickups, though. If I had to have pickups share a tone, the neck and middle would be paired, and the bridge dedicated.

• Members

In my black parts-o-caster I have a set of Fender Hot Noiseless. I got them because I thought that's what Jeff Beck uses, it turns out he doesn't, but I still like them. They've got a nice fat, even tone with a bit of a compressed sound. Kinda like EMGs but more dymanic. They can do clean, jangly stuff well, high gain, and everthing in between. They don't have a lot of quack and don't sound much like traditional Strat pups, but thats why I like them. They've got their own sound and I dig it.

My blue USA Strat has the Lollar Blackface set which were installed when I bought the guitar. These are the best Strat pickups in the world. No seriously, theyre the best Strat pups I have ever personally played by far. Glorious, I love them. I also installed a Fralin plate under the bridge position and it really works! I highly recommend these for anyone who thinks their bridge pup sounds too bright by itself. Best bridge-only Strat sound Ive ever played. Sounds fat and raunchy.

• Members

I have a Seymour Duncan JB Jr in the bridge, SD Vintage Rails in the middle and a DiMarzio in the Neck. I also have an L.R. Baggs X Bridge for acoustic sound. I also dropped in locking tuners. I kept the original hardware, though a 2000 Am Std isn't going to fetch all that much more or less with the changes that I have made.

• Members

Relevant to my interests:)

Another pickup brand/type with every post, all pretty much doing the same thing in it's own little way. 

I'm in the market for a new strat, and I don't even know what to look for. If I have to go by what I know, I could probably settle for any somewhat vintage correct strat with a set of seymour duncan SSL-1 pu's.

I might go with a cheapish upgrade platform, not sure yet.

I don't suppose anyone already knows if these come with different pu's than the same generic 'okay' ones in the regular classic series 60s strats?

Archived