Fender Excelsior

SrMeowMeow

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Man, why don't they put reverbs in amps like these?? I'd be all over it if it had built in reverb.

Yeah, that's a real glaring omission. I know they're trying to keep the price down, and it'd be tough to fit a decent sounding reverb in the Greta, but you can't use the amp's overdrive tones with reverb unless it has either a reverb or an effects loop.

I can understand the lack of a reverb or effects loop on the Greta, but not having at least an effects loop on the Excelsior is a deal breaker for me.

• Members

I got a 1-on-1 demo at the Fender booth on NAMM Saturday. On the Sunday I had a front-row seat as Greg Koch ripped through one with Roscoe Beck on bass and Koch's son on drums.

Absolutely killer amp - smart design and great price point. Definitely one of my highlights from the show.

• Members

Its brown textured vinyl covering, smartly stylish "E" grille design and bold crossed-swords front-panel badge convey a decidedly stately vibe
with a marked air of cold-war cool.

Oh, yeah. Nothing says cool like the Cuban missle crisis and duck-and-cover drills in the grade schools. ;)

• Members

Yeah, that's a real glaring omission. I know they're trying to keep the price down, and it'd be tough to fit a decent sounding reverb in the Greta, but you can't use the amp's overdrive tones with reverb unless it has either a reverb or an effects loop.

I can understand the lack of a reverb or effects loop on the Greta, but not having at least an effects loop on the Excelsior is a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, on a tiny amp like the Greta the only way I can see of putting a reverb in it is using a digital one but on the Excelsior there's no reason to not put a half decent spring reverb in it. Fender's reverbs are legendary and they should have been able to put one in it for just a couple of bucks.

• Members

Yea, but there's tremelo, which is a way cool plus. Small spring reverbs in a cramped cab usually arn't that great anyway.

At this size and price point ya can't have everything. You just need to budget for a good pedal if you gotta have the verb.

I'd love to have one of these, but I just bought 3 guitars in the last yr(parts tele build, Epi Explorer + Bigsby, and a Gretsch 5120).

Plus I bought $1500 worth of PA gear a cople of months ago.

If I buy an amp right now, I'd be paying alimony for the rest of my life.

• Members

Yea, but there's tremelo, which is a way cool plus. Small spring reverbs in a cramped cab usually arn't that great anyway.

At this size and price point ya can't have everything. You just need to budget for a good pedal if you gotta have the verb.

True, but if you want to use the amp's overdrive sound, you can't use a reverb pedal in front of it. They should have put an effects loop in it.

Archived