15 Albums that All Hipsters Love

kayd_mon

• Members

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2013/01/10-albums-that-all-hipsters-love/

Saw this on my Flipboard. Some great albums on the list, especially Radiohead - Kid A and Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors. Some I've never heard, and others I thought were meh at best (Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), and others are good but probably thought too highly of (Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation).

Thoughts, HCEG?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Apparently, if you like these albums!

Hipsters are just a type of trendy person. They act (and sometimes actually are) intellectual, listen to a lot of indie music, and dress in sometimes odd fashions. I am totally not a hipster, but I do happen to like a lot of music associated with them.

• Members

I've been accused of being a hipster (although I'm far too old and would look ridiculous in skinny jeans) and I definitely don't like all of those albums. I'm not too proud to admit  that I don't get Arcade Fire and I had never heard of Aphex Twin.

• Members

Ratae Coritanorum wrote:

What is a "hipster" and how do I know if I am one?

Google image search "Hipster Meme" - yes, it's kind of lazy but if you want to find out what makes a "hipster", that'll point you in the right direction. In my experience yes, clothing may make them stand out but it is really the elitism they exude that sets them apart.

• Members

Hipster = trying too hard to be cool and different.

On the other hand, there are a heck of lot of people who follow the crowds without thinking about it, and they don't get mocked all that much.

• Members

I don't know what a "hipster" is, but most of those albums seemed like rather mainstream stuff.  Given that most of this stuff gets regular play on commercial radio in Columbus, Ohio how "hip" can it be?

• Members

@honeyiscool

I think that the reason that mid-late 2000s hipsters don't exost anymore is because they grew up. At that time, I was in my middle 20s. I actively looked for new music, and I found myself getting into some "hipster" bands. I'm now 31, married, and simply don't have the time to dig up new bands anymore. I don't shun new music or anything, and I still happen across new music that I like, but gone are the days when I hung out at the record store, snatching up tons of vinyl, and always searching for the next unknown band to blow my mind.

• Members

@xStonr

Maybe! There are some very good records on the list. Kid A, for example, is a great example of a band completely changing its sound (even genre, you might argue) and still sounding great.

Bright Eyes is like modern Dylan. Great, poetic lyrics with questionable vocals, yet still very engaging music.

Sonic Youth is a landmark of noise rock. Depends on whether you can get into that sound or not.

Other albums represent some solid, adventurous music. I haven't heard all their stuff, but bands like Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, and Wilco often pop up on my Pandora station, and I usually like what's playing.

• Members

HIC - I think I understand what you're saying and I do think there is a bit of truth to that. Nevertheless, I was going to shows and buying music when "hipster" was long-outdated slang and I certainly wasn't alone. Long before that folks were spraying "Clapton is god" on walls, trying to get bootleg tapes of their favorite performers, etc.

To the artists mentioned, folks were digging Sonic Youth before many who later called themselves hipsters were even born. Radiohead's transformation from Pablo Honey to ok computer happened while the internet was really still in it's infancy.

In other words, so long as great music is being made (and, it might be added, the internet is alive and well) there will be folks who want to see it and buy it.

I agree that "hipster" culture likely magnified aspects of this dynamic, but I don't think "hipster" culture is primarily responsible for the exposure of these artists.

• Members

I'm about 30 years too old to be a hipster, but I like quite a few of those albums and artists, though I would probably pick different ones from Bright Eyes and Wilco at the very least. 

My daughter definitely has the hipster thing going, although I think it comes more from her pursuit of interesting stuff in most facets of life rather than a herding instinct. In any case, it's kind of nice to get turned onto weird and different music that I would likely never encounter otherwise.

• Members

I like most of those artists, and a bunch more far more obscure stuff. But I don't consider myself a hipster. I consider myself a music fan. I do seek out new music all the time, and dig through bins of vinyl on occasion. I'm in my mid 30's and would look pretty silly trying to subscribe to the whole aesthetic, but it's just a fashion/cultural trend. I really don't tend to read too much into it. I just enjoy the tunes.

• Members

Don't know what a hipster is, don't want to know, and just the sound of the word Hipster makes me want to punch one in the facehole, even though I don't know what one is.

I am quite sure though, that ANY creature that falls under the category of "hipster" wouldnt be able to do much about it

though, If I DID punch them in the c#&k $ucker, other than maybe fall into a balled up fetal position and cry for mommy.

This isn't a direct threat to anyone, mods, not advocating

violence.

Please don't ban me.

But definitely feel free to ban the word hipster, and especially

anyone that would openly and willingly call themselves one.

Archived