Does replacing the thin alloy trem block with a full steel/brass one make a difference?

danswon

• Members

(started a thread like this ages ago but it seemed futile trying to find it on here)

I'm tempted to get some for a few strat copies I want to make the most of from GFS, but I want to hear some opinions first. Could you honestly tell a noticeable improvement in sustain and fullness, or a change in the overall tone? Is there a difference between the brass and steel blocks? Cheers

• Members

I could not tell any difference in sustain. As for sound, I'd be comparing different bodies and pickups. I would not expect it to have a significant effect on tone, but maybe it will. Have you tried looking for youtube videos that a/b it?

• Members

I think it slightly increases snap & brightness, but there's a bigger difference changing between cast and pressed steel saddles. Pressed steel seems to bring more top end & snap, cast (stainless) are smoother with more sustain. However it's not a night & day difference, and changing to a new set of strings will have a greater effect on tone than any trem block.

• Members

I love those milled steel saddles. I've noticed significant improvements in the sound of guitars after installing them, and they really add a lot of brightness and snap to a guitar, which  suits me as I tend to go with humbuckers in all my guitars

I get these ones and put them on all my strat-styles guitars that will accomodate them.

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Modern-Saddles-for-525mm-Spacing-p/ps202.htm

I can really recommend Axesrus if you're in the UK btw, many good transactions with them. Shipping seems free regrdless of how much you spend and they ship super quick. I don't think I've ever had something come later than 2 days after I've ordered

Archived