List of most overrated guitarists in history

Mirin

• Members

Kerry King - 25 years of Eb-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Tony Iommi - Wrote the most boring riffs ever. Ozzy and Dio made him famous

Jimmy Page - Zeppelin was a team effort. The guitar playing was not all that

Yngwie Malmsteen - Technical proficiency apparently doesnt mean you can prevent all your songs from sounding the same

Eddie Van Halen - Inventing a new technique doesn't make you a good guitarist

Kirk Hammett - Lost without his wah

Zakk Wylde - Lost without his pinch harmonics

Buckethead - Lost without his effects

Slash - Lost without his pentatonic scales

Jimi Hendrix - You couldn't find a sloppier guitarist if you tried

Kurt Cobain - Never knew how to turn down distortion or stop playing chords

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know. Maybe not as blatant a troll as the tab threads before. He lists a bunch of famous players and lists the most popular complaints about their playing. Maybe he's serious on one hand, and just trying to troll people on the other.

The correct response to your question, if it was serious, is that none of those players are unable to make music, so they clearly don't suck. They are famous, and therefore their music has been important to a lot of people. Those people hold high opinions of those players, due to their role in making that music. They are therefore not overrated, because the perception of how enjoyable their playing is, is completely subjective. I don't personally enjoy every player on your list, but I'm not going to call them overrated.

Now, if you're just trolling again, then let's hope your responses are funny this time. Because trolls that aren't funny are very sad, pathetic creatures indeed. They try so hard, but are so useless, that you just can't help but feel embarrassed for them.

• Members

+1,00000 on Santana.   His early stuff is OK, I guess. 

also Toni Iommi isn that great. those double tracked solos when they were trying to be Cream is like nails on a chalkboard. Awesome rythm/riff master though.

• Members

and Mirin did look down from upon the mount... and he did cast judgement upon the lowly pluckers of strings... and the crowd were silenced by the sheer importance of his learned opinion... but not all... no... not all i say... for among them was one of rebellious spirit... who gave not a single {censored} about Mirin's delusional trolling... and so it came to pass that the one known as sully went on about his business... unaffected by the drivel that had passed before his eyes... with a simple sigh... he whispered... "troll on young mirin... troll on"... and on mirin did indeed troll........

• Members

SDshirtman wrote:

Care to post any of your own playing?

thankfully the ability to do something is not a prerequisite for having an opinion about someone else who does it.

or we would have nothing to talk about

• Members

Fame does not equal talent, hopefully we all know that. The worlds best guitarist may have never left the bedroom. But to devise a list of overrated players smells more like a list of personal preferences. So debate the virtues of Clapton or Santana or Hendrix or whomever makes you feel knowledgeable but these sort of list are pointless.

• Members

How can anybody be overrated? You either rate somebody as a guitarist or you don't. It's a personal opinion not a fact and if you personally don't rate somebody then they cannot be overrated because that would suggest that you rated them in the first place.

• Members

mistersully wrote:

i'll say this about clapton... some of his playing on "from the cradle" had plenty of fire

Totally agree, although, for me, 'Cradle' doesn't equal his earlier work. I was fortunate to see Eric on the 'From The Cradle' Tour and after a slow start, he was mighty impressive. I also saw him with Cream in NYCs Madison Square during their reunion dates a few years back. Again, not on a level as his early stuff, but damn inspiring.

• Members

beach bum wrote:

How can anybody be overrated? You either rate somebody as a guitarist or you don't. It's a personal opinion not a fact and if you personally don't rate somebody then they cannot be overrated because that would suggest that you rated them in the first place.

Overrated by the general public. For instance, if you ask many people who are just fans of the rock genre, they will all tell you that Slash is either their favorite guitarist, close to favorite or that he is amazing.

As a Slash fan myself, I am telling you he is probably the most overrated guitarist of all time. He would be lost without his pentatonic scales, and lacks any real creativity. His tone is really good though, it's almost become the official rock tone all starting guitarists strive for. Regardless, this doesn't make him good

• Members

beach bum wrote:

??? wuttevuh ...

Lousy musicians are lousy.

• Members

Mirin wrote:

Kerry King - 25 years of Eb-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Tony Iommi - Wrote the most boring riffs ever. Ozzy and Dio made him famous

Jimmy Page - Zeppelin was a team effort. The guitar playing was not all that

Yngwie Malmsteen - Technical proficiency apparently doesnt mean you can prevent all your songs from sounding the same

Eddie Van Halen - Inventing a new technique doesn't make you a good guitarist

Kirk Hammett - Lost without his wah

Zakk Wylde - Lost without his pinch harmonics

Buckethead - Lost without his effects

Slash - Lost without his pentatonic scales

Jimi Hendrix - You couldn't find a sloppier guitarist if you tried

Kurt Cobain - Never knew how to turn down distortion or stop playing chords

I don't know who Kerry King is, but I know the rest of those fellas. all things are a matter of perspective friend...All those men had an IMPACT. You can debate skills, technique, etcetra, ad infinitum. What you cannot disregard is IMPACT. Hendrix,Page,Van Halen, Cobain, Iommi...They all had a lasting IMPACT on their genres and the way people approached guitar playing. 

Overrated? Conjecture at best...

I think you're just the guy walking through the stockyards with a stick stirring up the cowpies to make 'em stink. I mean that from the heart of my bottom.

Archived