OT: why shouldn't I kill myself in Phoenix?

Danhedonia

• Members

Phoenix had a nice Blues Club or two the last time I visited.  Love Sedona, not so much the Crystal Crunchers, Flagstaff (Grand Canyon State) and Jerome, but steer clear of the old hippies and evil spirits up there.  Actually not a bad place to be if you're not brown skinned and you carry proper ID at all times.

• Members

In another thread, I've covered that Shiner Bock is utterly, unforgivably bad beer.  My personal opinion of Texans: a noisy gaggle of do-nothings.  Instead of SHOUTING ABOUT SHINER BOCK, MUDDAFUGGA, why not investigate dry hopping and MAKE. A. DRINKABLE. ALE.  The {censored} passed off as 'craft' brews (512 Brewing, Firestone Walker) do not count, as they really aren't any better than Anheuser Busch's re-labeling efforts (Blue Moon).  Honestly - 38 electoral votes and Shiner Bock is the best you can do?  No wonder Rick Perry is governor.  Simple tastes, I suppose.

I did in fact wind up with some whiskey in me, as well as getting 1/2-way through a really mediocre IPA, before I realized "Jesus, whiskey is far better than this."  Sadly, I left before the very fine suggestion that I debark sans-pants ... after all, it was still THREE HUNDRED {censored}ING THOUSAND DEGREES at 8pm ...

Joe Arpaio's unique take on human rights - when and if he feels like you should have them, you will - seem to really ratchet up the ante on the no-pants thing.  A lot.

• Members

Originally from Boston.  Have invested then divested from craft breweries twice (once I saved my ass, the other time ... well, I **** blew it and could be living easy right now).

Currently, I live in New Mexico, where we have a small but very high quality craft brewing scene (La Cumbre, Marble, IVBC, and parts of Colorado are 'the neighb' so add in Oskar Blues, Ska, Left Hand).

Work takes me around the US West, so I get to visit Ninkasi in Eugene, Deschutes in Portland (taproom beers far better than what is distributed), Green Flash and others in San DIego, Russian River in Santa Rosa (considered by many the best brewery in the US).

Doesn't really matter where one is from - Maine has great craft brewing, as does Kansas City, as does London (all places where family live so I get to partake). 

Texas and Arizona have always puzzled me, because there just .... aren't .... the same number of well-crafted local brews per capita as most everywhere else in the US.  And knowing how Texans a) love to drink; and b) enjoy having the best of things, I'm always amazed by that.  Shiner Bock is basically Budweiser with a local marketing campaign.

Believe it or not, I actually am much more passionate about wine.  Never, ever ask me about Russian River valley pinot noir.  My response will make TGP rants about Klons look like preschool reading practice.

Archived