Favorite Electric Guitar Neck?

GittlerGuitars

• Members

If this hypothetical 60s LP has the same neck profile as modern Gibson 60s slim necks, then I'd say a guitar with that same profile!

The neck on my CP Jazzmaster is quite nice, too. I guess that's a Fender modern C.

• Members

I can get on with just about any neck shape, except for really narrow spaced ones - rickenbackers are really uncomfortable to me, for example. That said, my favorite necks can be found on my PRS DGT, Tyler Studio Elite and Gibson 57, 58 and 59 reissue Les Pauls.

• Members

If money were no object, I'd be looking at a Custom Shop VOS '60 Les Paul (plain top, of course). I have one, and it has the most comfortable neck I've ever played. I love feel of the VOS finish, and it has very nicely tapered shoulders that don't cut unto my bony hands. Nice C shape with the same width as most other LP's (1 11/16"), but the thin binding allows a bit more room on the fretboard than regular production line Thin Taper necks which have thick bindings and thick nibs over the fret ends. 

Here's an original 1960 Burst:

lp60-3.jpg

And my 1960 VOS:

r001.jpg

• Members

My favorite would have to be Hamer's "Vintage Carve", which is similar to a 50's Gibson shape. I also love the neck on my '57 reissue Strat, and the most recent '52 AVRI Teles. 

I can get on with most necks though. Like GD, I'm not a fan of Rickenbackers, or at least the few that I've actually tried. I haven't found a PRS that I've gotten on with either, and don't like exceptionally thin necks like an Ibanez Wizard Neck.

• Members

Two wide-thin necks -- on my old Gibson MIII Standard and on my Ibanez SZ520QM -- are amazingly comfortable and feel just exactly and perfectly right for me.

I also love the Slimtaper D profile neck on my Dot Deluxe.  It's a very different feel from the wide-thins, but it's really good.

• Members

In answer to the OP's question, I'd ask a question.

Do want something different or similar?

I like mine to be different. Variety is nice. I can get on with about any neck as long as it is true, plays well and has decent fretwork. So having some different things is a nice change. Don't feel like I'm just playing the same guitar but with different pickups.

• Members

Since I've been playing 7 strings for...13 years now (?) I am accustomed to wide necks. Anything "small" feels terrible to me.

When I play a standard guitar, I like anything that might tempt you to looks for a Louisville Slugger logo somewhere on the neck. There was this Hamer semi-hollow that I was in love with but never bought. Thing had a neck that was *really* thick.

But I always play with my thumb on the back of the neck, so I don't know if anything is really too large if you play that way. Seems guys that complain about large necks are trying to wrap their thumbs.

Archived