List of Most Underrated Guitarists in History*

Alecto

• Members

In no particular order:

- Richard Thompson

- Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music)

- Robert White, Eddie Willis, Joe Messina (The Funk Bros.)

- Amos Garrett

- Marc Rizzo (Soulfly)

- Steve Stevens (Billy Idol)

- Kevin Breit (Harry Manx, Norah Jones)

- Jim Campilongo

- Billy Carter (Screaming Blue Messiahs)

- Jimmy Wilsey (Chris Isaak)

Who are some of your fave underrated heroes? Bring 'em on! :robothappy:

*If said guitarist has made the cover of a major guitar magazine, then they are disqualified as an "underrated guitarist."

• Members

I would put Richard Thompson at the top of the list, but at least you can buy his music and he's mentioned routinely on forums. Most of his fans annoy me too.

For the most underrated, I'll go with Masami Tsuchiya. He never made waves over here in the U.S., but he's worked with Phil Manzanera, Bill Nelson, Mick Karn, Duran Duran, and Japan, along with many others. His solo material is tops (Except for Time Passenger, which I'm not fond of), and his band Ippu-Do was amazing.

• Members

Chris Funk from the Decemberists plays some tasteful lines on guitars and more. I don't think he's been on the cover of a guitar mag.

Wally Farkas, formerly of Galactic Cowboys, is a great player. He gets a wide variety of tones, most of them heavy, chunky, or crunchy (and whatever adjectives you use to describe distorted guitar).

And here's a general shout to all those local musicians we see that are awesome, but just never got that break.

• Members

There have been some great names listed already but i wouldn't say any of them are underrated more under exposed. To me underrated suggests somebody who is well known by the general public but doesn't get enough credit for there playing rather than somebody who has gone under the radar.

• Members

Chris Rea

While Roy Rogers has a faithful following, he is still pretty much unknown.  Best slide player I've ever seen.

Even though Lindsey Buckingham made it big as a pop star I think he has been underrated as a guitarist

Buck Dharma

Archived