How Much Gear Did You Go Through Before Settling on a Sound?

kayd_mon

• Members

Guitar-wise, I like to change it up. That's how I get minor variations in my sound - I don't really adjust the amp or pedals, but I'll switch guitars. However, I went through a lot of pedals and amps first.

After ditching my first amp, a Gorilla, I got a Fender Princeton 65 solid state amp. I thought that it was totally amazing, and the only amp in the world that could possibly sound better was a Hiwatt Custom 50 that was at the rehearsal studio we often used. I got a second one to run stereo. Eventuly, I ditched those to play a Peavey Ranger 212 tube amp. I loved it, until it blew up. I got a Vox AC15 while still owning the Peavey, and was hooked. Once my Peavey blew up, I replaced it with an AC30. I'm good to go now!

For effects, I went through a few multi-fx units, most notably a Digitech RP-7, a Pod 2.0 with 4-button footswitch, and finally the pedalboard of stomp boxes I have now. My Green Screamer, MXR Distortion III, and Boss DD-20 are used the most, and make me a happy guitarist.

Your turn!

• Members

I still use the same amp I've used since about 1987 . I've re-tubed it and had a cap job done along with some mods. We discussed the possibility of further mods but none planned yet. My Tele has been modded a few times and I'm preparing to do more. As far as pedals ,I don't use them . I found some that are fun to play around with but nothing for regular use. I've somewhat settled on the gear but am not satisfied with it, if that makes sense. I will probably always change one more thing

• Members

I'm a moody guy so i have a few different "Sounds" i like or Go to.   I'm luckey enough to own a few amps that covers some ground.... from Fender Champ Ultra- Orange -Marshall etc....   So depending what mood Im in or the kind of music I want to play I go to that particular type of Amp....    I'm always evolving to so I may sell or buy something to replace...  I dont think that "Sound" Search will ever end.... hopefully not anyway

Guitars, I've been blessed there to I have a few...... But I always seem to go to my Carvin, or my Explorer.  I do go to the tele's to but mostly the humbucker geetars...

• Members

I spent about 10 years trying various combinations of guitars amps and effects over that period i owned an es335 6 les pauls, 2 sg's, 5 strats, 3 teles various ibanez, jackson and prs guitars and tried most marshall, fender, vox and mesa amps, I settled on a les paul and es335 through a vox ac30 or ac15 and the only pedals used are a boss sd1 vox wah and boss tu2. Thats been my gigging rig and main recording rig for 15 years now and i'm too attached to it to change. I do have a second rig for alternate sounds in the studio which consists of a strat a tele a deluxe reverb and a bunch of boss pedals but it's rarely used.

• Members

30+ years playing here.....about 1981-2 I got my 1st Strat, 1st decent tube amp shortly after. Yeah, been through the Jazz Chorus/multi-fx thing in the 80's, '90's grunge/metal era half-stack, rootsy Tele/Tweed phase in the oughts....always seem to come back to a Strat, tube amp with a fuzz, delay and boost. I am digging a single P-90 melody maker a lot of late for the indie rock thing I'm doing currently, but  even 65% of this is the Strat/Tubes and a couple of pedals. Settle? I guess, but will always enjoy experimenting with something new just to keep it fresh. ROCK ON!  

• Members

The first time I was really happy with my tone was after I had been playing in bands for about 3 years, I had been playing various Kramer guitars through solid state amps. I finally found a winning combination - a Hamer Special with P90's through a Morley Distortion into a Laney AOR100 half stack. I was recently listening back through some old recordings I did with this rig, and was still impressed.

Thing is, I settle on a sound then I change the rig up, not so much because I'm dissatisfied with the tone, but more just for the sake of change, or a new project comes up or something breaks or whatever really. In the studio, I'll use whatever comes to mind that day, whatever I think fits a song well.

General overview of the core rigs - 

late 80's/early 90's - Kramers > boss metalzone > solid state amps (Peavey, Fender, Crate)

mid-90's - Hamer Special P90 > Morley Distortion > Laney AOR100 1/2 stack

late 90's - 57RI Strat > MXR Distortion + > Blues Deville 4x10

early 00's - Hamer Artist > sib Varidrive > Trace Elliot Tramp

mid 00's - drums mainly

late 00's - 57RI Strat > Ram's Head Big Muff > MusicMan HD130

early 10's - Hamer Special Custom > RAT > Valvetech Hayseed 30

• Members

There's only one immoveable piece of gear I own, and it's my Valvetech VAC25. I love my guitars, but only one of those will never go, the HCEG Thinline. Pedals, all is negotiable, but I have a Pedaltrqin Jr. rule: if it all doesn't fit on the Jr., something has to go. It keeps me sane ;)

Archived