GOTD 5-28-13

kayd_mon

• Members

40U-5475\_front.jpg

40U-5475\_body-front.jpg

40U-5475\_back.jpg

40U-5475\_fretboard.jpg

Courtesy of Elderly Instruments

EPIPHONE E-360TD RIVIERA (1966) EC, 16" lower bout, cherry finish, white-bound maple body, mahogany neck, 22 fret Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with parallelogram inlays, pearl logo and cloud inlays on headstock, number scratched into back of headstock, Kluson Deluxe tuners, 2 mini-humbucking pickups, ABR1 bridge, Bigsby tailpiece, 3-way switch, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, 1-9/16" nut, 24-3/4" scale, looks and sounds great, on consignment, with OSSC (red lining)

• Members

I put that pic there because of that. I wonder if it was common for guitars of that era? I have a 1951 Epiphone, but it doesn't have that issue. I believe that in 1966, Epiphone was already sold to Gibson, but they were still MIA.

• Members

I love the old MIA Epiphones!  So that one is hot.

I like new Epis that were originally Epiphone models.  Not crazy about any that are Gibson copies, such as LPs, SGs, Vs, etc..  Nothing wrong with them... many are very fine guitars, but Epiphone has such a rich pre-Gibson heritige that I don't like Gibson using the name for their line of cheap imports.

• Members

I dig it.  I have an Epiphone Riviera of the same era but in Royal Tan sunburst and with a frequensator tailpiece and an older style E on the pickguard.  It is one of my favorite guitars.

All things considered, if you happen to be the sort of person who is deterred by minor imperfections that do not affect or impair playability or the structural stability of the instrument you may not be the sort of person who should be buying older guitars.  Not that there is anything wrong with it.  But if you are the sort who is interested in owning and playing old guitars I can't recommend a better dealer of older guitars than Elderly Instruments.  I am very pleased with the old guitars that I have bought from Elderly Instruments.  Unless they have listed a guitar AS IS, the guitar has been set up ready to play with all actual issues addressed.

What I see in the photo of the two inlays is a non-issue and more of a minor imperfection.  The top inlay appears to have shrunk very slightly.  It is not anything that needs to be addressed or tended to.

• Members

DeepEnd, maybe old guitars are not for you.  They don't have to be.  

When I first looked at the photos of the Epiphone Riviera, before I read any of the comments, I did not notice anything unusual or out of whack.  And once I did read the comments about the inlays I actually spent a few minutes looking at the photo of the two inlays trying to figure out if anything actually was wrong.  Whenever somebody says something is an issue I imagine something that is an actual problem that must be addressed.  I don't see that with the inlays on this Epiphone Riviera.

I have not examined many guitars built before the 1950s.  But I have examined lots of guitars from the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.  And I have seen lots of non-dot inlays that did not match up 100% to the recesses that they were set into.  As long as the inlays are not coming unglued there is no real issue.

• Members

Roy Brooks wrote:

DeepEnd, maybe old guitars are not for you.  They don't have to be. . . .

. . . once I did read the comments about the inlays I actually spent a few minutes looking at the photo of the two inlays trying to figure out if anything actually was wrong.  Whenever somebody says something is an issue I imagine something that is an actual problem that must be addressed. . . .

. . . As long as the inlays are not coming unglued there is no real issue.

They probably aren't. I don't have any particular interest in older acoustics for sure. Perhaps I should have said the inlays were an issue for me. If I bought that guitar (wildly assuming I could actually afford it), I'd have the gaps filled and have it checked out for real issues since it's as old as it is. Our church retired a bass that was newer than that because there were very real issues with the electronics related to its age.

Archived