learning the note names on the fretboard

mercury2

• Members

how long did it take you? any tips ?

i've played for ages but never learned proper theory...got a lot of spare time just now so gonna take the time to learn what i'm actually playing

i think i've learned the notes, then i test myself and brain just goes blank!

• Members

I've been playing (off and on) for 40 years, and still learning them.  I still have to think about them. The CAGED system helped me.  Learn the root notes for a chord, and that gives you an anchor for the notes around it at that position of the neck.

• Members

Same problem here.  I can find notes on the large E and the A strings, but if someone wants me to find an A# on any of the other strings, it takes a moment of thinking.  I don't think the fact that I don't know where all the notes are has held me back, but I'm sure I would feel more confident knowing where every A# is on the fretboard.

Seems more useful to know the notes on bass.

• Members

Glad to see you are putting in the time and it is working for you.  Once you get it then it will be with you the rest of your life and you can get away from referencing notes as "5th fret, 5th string" or "5th fret, 4th string".

As for reading music helping you learn theory, I can't really comment on that as I can't read music.  As far as I can tell, notation will tell you what note to play and how to play it (whole note, quarter note, eigth note, etc).  The last couple of years I have been focusing on finding what notes are relative to the key I am in.  Root notes, 2nds, 4ths, 5ths, and 7ths and major third vs. minor third, etc.  Once you grasp stuff I think you take it for granted. 

One thing that helped me a lot in the last year or two is watching stuff with guys like Carl Verheyen and Jimmy Herring... when they play a lick they will refer to the notes this way, not as "2nd fret, 3rd string".  So, when I am coming up with stuff I will spend some time figuring out what exactly I am playing and really listening to how the notes sound relative to the key.  The more you do it the easier it gets.  I still think your ears should guide you and that's what I think all the guys who inspire me are doing whether it is Eric Gales or John Coltrane. 

• Members

I've been able to read music for a while (piano lessons) but never been able to put it to use for the guitar

I was always useless at sight reading  so doubtful I'll ever be any good at that

The main thing for me will to be able to recognise notes/scales/chords without relying on shapes, being able to play something on the piano and guitar without having to pretty much learn it twice! especially melodies/lead stuff

Archived