Dale fortune guitars

rknplumber

• Members

Anyone know about these guitars? supposedly Dale worked with Leo Fender,

I have a strat made in the mid to late 70's

It is an inredible guitar, the neck is like a 50's strat, kluson tuners as well also the wood is "aged" and even looks like its 40-50 yrs old.

The tones are like a vintage strat, a buddy of mine who played with Black oak Arkansas (Alex Among) after Shawn Lane (God bless his soul one of the greatest players of all time) Had a Fortune strat as well and it was his fav too.

I bought this thing out of the recycler back in 81 for a measly 175.00.

I have 21 guitars and its one of my two favorites. I have done searches and no luck...........anyone know of Fortune guitars?

• 3 years later...
  • Members

FORTUNE GUITARS...... may just be a coinsidence but check out the current E-By listing # 320352511000

Wtf, it looks like you're just trying to subtly spam this thread with a guitar you have for sale.

Edit To OP: Anyway, I haven't heard of Fortune guitars, but this Brodi guy apparently has an Acoustic version from them in his eBay listing.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=397614#p650797

Dale Fortune was never an employee of Fender nor did he make any guitars or basses for them. The only thing close was he copied their logo. You'll also find the first 100 Jim Kelley amps with the Fortune logo on them instead. He was pretty much run out of Orange County for his guitar "ethics" Now i see the link above says he was arrested. This does not surprise me. He ran several scams on me and last i heard was building part time while driving a UPS truck in Portland Oregon.

Buyer Beware!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey.I just bought one that was bult in 1981.This guitar was a special order for the lead axe man of supertramp.I bought it on eaby for 500 w?/a vintage Fender tweed case.I'm hearing they are pretty sweet guitars.Mine has an ash body and a beautiful figured maple neck and Brazilian rosewood fret board.

I cant immagine this guitar playing badly,its even got a bound neck!I will add a cooment after I get it.Its on its way to me in Boston from Arizona.Peace.P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Dale was a one-time employee of Fender. Dale also worked for Rickenbacker. He is a master luthier, probably the likes of which most ordinary people will never see in their lifetime. I feel very fortunate (no pun intended) to call him my friend. He was not "run" out of Orange County. He has retired from UPS. The arrest was a complicated mess that arose from his psychotic neighbor (I have seen the neighbor). Hopefully, since most of it has blown over, he can continue doing what most clients consider him the best at: Building and restoring Rickenbacker and Fender instruments.

In spite of slanderous remarks in this thread, I know him to be a stand-up, family man who has his head screwed on correctly, unlike many folks I encounter these days both in cyberspace and terra firma.

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 6/1/2013 at 10:00 PM, sasquatchgeoff said:

Dale was a one-time employee of Fender. Dale also worked for Rickenbacker. He is a master luthier, probably the likes of which most ordinary people will never see in their lifetime. I feel very fortunate (no pun intended) to call him my friend. He was not "run" out of Orange County. He has retired from UPS. The arrest was a complicated mess that arose from his psychotic neighbor (I have seen the neighbor). Hopefully, since most of it has blown over, he can continue doing what most clients consider him the best at: Building and restoring Rickenbacker and Fender instruments.

In spite of slanderous remarks in this thread, I know him to be a stand-up, family man who has his head screwed on correctly, unlike many folks I encounter these days both in cyberspace and terra firma.

I owned and played a Dale Fortune strat through the early 80s, from 81 until around 86. I bought it from my bass player who had custom ordered it and needed money to pay rent (I've been there too). I played it in a band named BivTorvell (don't ask) that played the South Coast "listening rooms" in OC, like Whitehouse and Sandpiper in Laguna, as well as the Red Onion (not the "dance" Red Onions) and Ancient Mariner chains. We were the house band at Pierce Street Annex for spell until somebody's drug habit got us fired. This was my first strat type guitar, but because of the rooms we played and other popular players sitting in, my Fortune strat was played by Hollywood Fats, Buzzy Feiten, Mike Hamilton, Bruce Bollinger, and the incendiary Prince Robinson - all gave it a thumbs up and complemented me (or Dale I guess) on the guitar. It was a great guitar, a slightly heavier highly figured ash body, clear finish, rosewood board w/ tortoise shell pickguard and 3 vintage singles. The older South Coast clubs especially those at the beach, had lots of neon and {censored} for AC though (lots of ungrounded outlets), so I swapped out the pups for SD stacked humbuckers because the hum was unacceptable for our set list (we had a sax player and did a lot of Steely Dan, Michael Franks, Robben Ford, Doobies, George Benson). Partly due to the heavy ash body, the non-vintage pups, plus the guitar was a non-trem, it sounded way less "spanky" than I wanted and I eventually put an RA Gresco ToneQube in it, which was a great complement to the sound of that particular instrument. About the time I got it to sound exactly the way I wanted, I had Performance in Hollywood build me a strat with a Floyd and I had to sell the Fortune - yes, to my bass player. I later had a mid 70s Fender partscaster that I tried the ToneQube trick on again, and it didn't do anything like what it did on the Fortune guitar. Every instrument is unique. I never met Dale and never played any of his other guitars (in fact I've never seen another), but the one I had was a beauty.

Archived