This sort of left a bad taste in my mouth.

xrleroyx

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This was the busiest forum and only lost it's popularity due to them {censored}ing the site up time and time again.  Making it PG 13 will allow it die in a different way.  Who would have thought they would think of another way to {censored} this site?

• Members

Schools usually just mass-block forums of any kind. I know this, because I've worked at a few schools. The PG-13 change won't fix that.

Well anyway, I'm not going to run away crying juat because I can't curse anymore. That seems pretty silly to me.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Schools usually just mass-block forums of any kind. I know this, because I've worked at a few schools. The PG-13 change won't fix that.

Well anyway, I'm not going to run away crying juat because I can't curse anymore. That seems pretty silly to me.

I don't need to curse either... What concerns me is that this place will turn into a ultra-conservative/stale forum.  One of the great things about this forum is that it is loose, not just with cursing but in conversation in general.  I (like many others) like having a bit of a joust/discussion/argument with others and do fear over-moderating this place will prevent it from happening.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Members

@billybilly

I like that too, and honestly, censored language for 13-year-olds is just naive. Censoring language could make the place more stale, and it could very well drive off valuable posters. No offense to the younger generation, but if this place is all of a sudden flooded with little kids, the old guys - the ones with all of that knowledge that can be used for education - will be gone, thus losing your ability to educate.

Censorship is stupid. And so may be this decision. But if I stuck it out through the software change, then I'm not going to let a little censorship drive me away.

• Members

Why is this forum worried that it cannot be accessed in schools?  Are advertisers trying to reach kids through this forum?

I think they have this backwards:  Advertisers are trying to reach ME because I visit this forum.   Are they changing the language of the forum to get  better advertisees in?  

If HC is trying to change the forum so that Mrs. Webber's 3rd grade class can visit, maybe they will get more breakfast cereal advertisers or something.

• Members

I visit a lot of forums covering many topics.  Some are pretty strict about language.  I have not seen where that drives off people with meaningful things to say.  If you can't say something without being crude and using foul language, chances are you don't have anything worthwhile to say.

As far as this change turing HCEG into a place overrun by 13 year olds and Mrs. Webber's third grade students.... well, they aready have their own guitar forum... it's called Ultimate Guitar Community.

• Members

Instead of going off on some rant that is going to fall on deaf, really stupid, really idiotic, really stupid, take an awesome forum and kill it over and over again, 1000 times till its dead, ears.......Ill just leave you with this.

Dear Harmony central Administration.

Lick my {censored}ing taint.

• Members

stormin1155 wrote:

If you can't say something without being crude and using foul language, chances are you don't have anything worthwhile to say.

This is SO not true.  Foul language has NO corelation with quality of comment what so ever. 

• Members

Well This thread was the top of the thread list and the time of the most recent post was 20 minutes ago.  That is a testament of where this site has gone.  2 years ago the "20 Minutes ago" posts would have been on page 2.    I use to come here all the time and mostly lurk but add to threads or start some here and there. 

The fact that they are "Ruling it up" more is only going to keep old timers from coming back and will drive a few more of you regulars away even further.

Even when this forum was in its hay day I would say it was pretty vanilla no worse than pg-13 for sure.  The old saying if it aint broke dont fix it isnt even a concideration here.  They've monkey'd with it so much it doesnt work.   I can no longer add pics from my mobile devices........  thet is kinda frustrating but again they Monkey'd with it to the point of why come here?   I can go over to the les paul forum or Mark W's forum or the many other ones out there and these days get more info just because those forums are busier......

Just say'n not hate'n

Coming here now is like returning to a favorite childhood place and then realizing it isnt what you remember....... its a different

• Members

So, basically, they want to turn this into TGP, minus the traffic and the knowledgeable user base? Good luck with that. 

I don't really care about not being able to curse either. I barely {censored}in' do as it is. But, if it gets too PG around here, then it's going to lose it's flavor and eventually all of it's best contributors (so many have fled already). Already I see this Dandy Jarrett guy (whoever he is) going around and censoring questionable content. The adminstration needs to figure out that the site is about music. Music is about expression, and people are passionate about it. Having worked in the business for 20 years now, I can tell you, people curse. A lot. 

I'm going to stick around and see how it works out, but as it is I'm visiting less and less. If this place turns into TGP-lite, or worse, a Disneyfied Ultimate-Guitar, I'm out.

• Members

Tone Deaf wrote:

So "protecting" kids by keeping them from seeing combinations of letters that THEY ALREADY KNOW is easier than their parents having conversations with them about those combinations of letters. Sad.

No, it's not easier but... I am adept at the use of "salty" language, use it when appropriate, and understand when it's appropriate. The point is the language offends some people so I don't use it when I know it will offend someone, out of respect and common courtesy.

That part (respect, courtesy), is what the "kids" need to learn; and also that there's a time and a place. Frankly, we don't pay for this forum so it's their "house" and I've been invited in. If I don't like the customs in the "house" I'm free to decline the invitation.

That said, the HC forum has just about driven me away for many other reasons and thats what I find sad. I could easily live with "proper language" if the forum had the valuable qualities it used to have.

• Members

I can't believe how stupid these new, and Old administrators are. I mean, unless they were hired to RUIN what used to be an awesome community. In that case they are geniuses.

And the fact that they are now more vocal in their reasoning for why they are doing what they are doing, is just like advertising their stupidity.

Instead of popping in and lecturing us on how we should need to conduct ourselves more appropriately because we are in a desperate attempt to save what little bit of ashes are left of this once great site, why not just come in, start jumping yp and down and screaming "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I'M A FREEKING IDIOT! LOOK AT ME!"
It is the same thing.

• Members

I personally don't require cuss words to communicate, but I also don't agree with enforcing censorship upon a community of adult musicians. This forum has a long successful history of self-moderation, IMO. Its not clear enough to me why that would need to change.

Its also my opinion that this forum has no business being in schools and libraries. Ironically, if someone really wanted to access HC in a library or school, then they could do so on their web-enabled smart phone or iPod or any of a bunch of devices that have internet capabilities. No need to go through the school or library server.

• Members

Furthermore, Harmony Central recently became Safe Harbor Certified, allowing musicians as young as 13 to have access to the site.

because before that happened, the giant age-detecting laser beams that would shoot out of your monitors and into your eyes when you logged on would shut you down in heartbeat if you were 13

• Members

responding to frankensteinberger from page 2

^^^ I don't know what planet you live on, but down here on Earth, the "mainstreaming" trend in commercial entertainment, even commercial info based entertainment, hopefully I don't have to explain why this site fits into thise categories, is completely the opposite of the way you have suggested. You pick it, music, network television, movie industry, cable television, am and fm talk based radio, ALL of it.

The trend always has been and always will be toward edgier and racier subject matter especially language as people continally try to push the envelope to get noticed amongst an ocean of people trying to stand out and get noticed. The intetnet is not some sort of weird anomoly contrary to this rule. It never has been and it never will. It will simply conrinue to evolve, that is change through time, and it will continue to do it in lock step with the rest of society, with both the pushers of the limits, and the consumers that become desensitised and continue to be less and less shocked as years go by.

Your post was a nice speech, but not based in reality.

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

responding to frankensteinberger from page 2

^^^ I don't know what planet you live on, but down here on Earth, the "mainstreaming" trend in commercial entertainment, even commercial info based entertainment, hopefully I don't have to explain why this site fits into these categories, is completely the opposite of the way you have suggested. You pick it, music, network television, movie industry, cable television, am and fm talk based radio, ALL of it.

The trend always has been and always will be toward edgier and racier subject matter especially language as people continually try to push the envelope to get noticed amongst an ocean of people trying to stand out and get noticed. The internet is not some sort of weird anomaly contrary to this rule. It never has been and it never will. It will simply continue to evolve, that is change through time, and it will continue to do it in lock step with the rest of society, with both the pushers of the limits, and the consumers that become desensitised and continue to be less and less shocked as years go by.

Your post was a nice speech, but not based in reality.

Thanks Dave, I was going to respond to his post but you've managed to express what I thought/felt far better than I could.  As for a link, I 'm sure you can find one.  LOL

I will say this though, fear mongers will always feel protected but will eventually become exposed.  Whether or not they accept to see what is true is up to them, it's unfortunate that they hide behind their fear of seeing the truth and attempt to sensor it.  I believe that deep down, people know the truth, shame on them for not having the courage to accept it for themselves and others.

Finally, attempting to protect people through naivety is merely an attempt to control.

Archived