X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock in DADGAD

This tuning is awesome.

Trying to find info about it on the net, youtube, etc, has turned up a lot of celtic / irish / indian music, and it's mostly people fingerpicking on acoustic guitars in a classical style.

I was wondering..has anyone used this tuning to good effect in rock/metal music?

It's actually not that far off from normal Drop-D tuning...you still have a lot of the easy power chords in the first 4 strings, and it's very very very easy to play Add9 power chords I'm noticing.

Also the great thing about dadgad is you can easily tune the g string down a half step to get Open D tuning, and down a full step to get Open D minor tuning.

But anyways, about DADGAD. Anyone use this tuning for rock and metal music?

Kashmir, LZ.

Comment

Aye, but one song..

I wasn't really asking has it been used before, but more like has anyone here who plays rock/metal experimented with DADGAD?

Comment

A lot of Pearl Jam Rythms are in DADGAD or DAF#GAD. Daughter is one.
        Guitars: 60th Anniversity Commemorative American Strat 2006, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe, Washburn D25S Acoustic 1988 (MIJ)Effects: 535Q->TS7->DS-1-> GE7 EQ->MXR Carbon Copy->Phase 90->CE-3 -> -> Tiny Terror -> Vox Night Train Cab 1x12 with Greenback Also: Guitar Port, DOD Supra Distortion, EH Muff Fuzz, Vox DA5Good Dealings with rrancani, dcindc, CraigOrn, 98 les paul, kjutrain

Comment

• Folky_Grunge
          Folky_Grunge commented
          Editing a comment

Beckman wrote:
          A lot of Pearl Jam Rythms are in DADGAD or DAF#GAD. Daughter is one.

Daughter is actually in a variant of open G (the low d is tuned to the G); I wonder why this mistake has been made so many times in this thread, the tunings aren't that similar. I'm fairly familiar with Pearl Jam, and I can't think of many of their songs that are in DADGAD, except Given to Fly. A few are in open D (like Even Flow), but not many.

Keith plays a lot in open D.

He plays even more in Open G.
        peace,
        missfortune (AKA Prof.Fuzz)

Comment

Isn't some of the Alter Bridge stuff in DADGAD?
          no signature required

Comment

"That's the Way" by Zeppelin. There are other tunes Page did in that tuning as well.
            Guitars: Suhr Pro Series S2, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded 50's neck w/Wolfetone pu's.
            Amps: Blackstar HT-5, Diezel 1x12cab, Vox DA-5
            Effects: Boss TU-2>Cry Baby GCB-95F>MXR CS Phase 90>Keeley TS-9 Plus Mod>BYOC Analog Chorus>MXR Carbon Copy>ISP Decimator> amp.

Comment

Isn't some of the Alter Bridge stuff in DADGAD?

I believe so. Tremonti used the tuning a lot back in the Creed days, and it does show up in certain Alter Bridge songs.
              Gear:

Fender MIM Telecaster (Hot-railed)
              Peavey Predator (Rebuilt w/Invader & Full Shred)
              ESP LTD EC100QM
              Fender Toronado GT (with Duncan Custom & '59)
              ESP LTD Viper 400
              ESP LTD Hybrid 400
              ESP SC200 (Duncan Distortion)
              Line 6 Spider Valve
              Peavey 6505+ 112
              Engl Thunder 50 112

Comment

almost all metal is tuned down like that, not necessarily to drop d like you have it, but to an extent, alot of the newer rock thats coming out is in that tuning, i play in it all the time, its just like a 1 finger power chord then
                Original Owner Items Inc.
                Your #1 supplier of all things xEDGEx, br00tal, and originally owned maplifiers since 1981
                VP of Back Alley Negotiations (Pimping)

Originally Posted by MONGO!

Black history for 1st graders

Originally Posted by nodachi

despite being horrendously biased, you are absolutely correct. NICEPWNT.

Originally Posted by King Loudness

Nicepwnt, not so nicely, I might add.

Good Deals with: Dimebag11, kdp86, LordOVchaos, K-Bizzle

Comment

I WANNA LIVE WITH MY CINNAMON GIRL

Comment

Well, not quite...Several songs on Neil Young's first solo album are in double-drop D (DADGBD). The best known ones are Cinnamon Girl, The Loner, and The Old Laughing Lady.
                    Originally Posted by caveman

I'll bend over backwards to make things work but I'll be damned if I'll bend over forwards.

Digital Me

Comment

Did Dean DeLeo use it on a lot of STP and Army of Anyone stuff? I could be wrong.
                      Gear:
                      Mesa Mark III (purple stripe)
                      Marshall 1960a

Good deals with: Mctallica1, captain howdy, Killing Nevada, MidusGT, griff10672, angelhair0, 68CUSTOMLESPAUL, facefirst, dotlikeimpact, panhead, Primo, tri99er, 27frets

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I actually want to know if anyone on these forums who plays metal/rock uses DADGAD at all, or what they think of the tuning, how it could be useful, etc. What's your opinion of it, not what bands have used it.

Comment

A few of my originals I do in DADGAD, one of which is sort of a heavy fusion instrumental prog piece.

I think its a pretty useful tuning, especially if you are employing drone type pedal tones. The caveat to using the tuning is you likely want to have a guitar dedicated to it completely, as you want to use heavier strings to make up for the decrease in tension on the neck. Your gonna want to set up the neck/truss rod/intonation properly for the tuning.

The way I get around this, is i use a Variax, so i just flick a switch and the tuning changes and my neck stays the same.
                          Download my instrumental album at music.steamtheory.com or http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/steamtheory2

Comment

"That's the Way" by Zeppelin. There are other tunes Page did in that tuning as well.

I thought it was open G... could be wrong. "White Summer" I believe was a DADGAD exercise in self-indulgence.
                            SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
                            Lulu Edition
                            Kindle Edition
                            iTunes iBookstore
                            Nook Edition

Comment

Working...
                            X