X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFS Mini Humbuckers?

Anybody tried these? I'm thinking of the Mini Birds, quite like the clean look

:snax:

EG
    We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

Aaaaaaaaanyone?

Also, what are the sonic differences between a typical mini humbucker and a typical full-size humbucker. I'm hoping the mini does actually sound a bit thinner

Comment

Anybody tried these? I'm thinking of the Mini Birds, quite like the clean look

I put the GFS Little Crunchy Mini (H92) in the neck position of a telecaster. I also bought the pickguard from them. It is 4-wired so you can split the coils if you want.

Compared to the chirpy, burping sound of the Squier PU that was in there, I am very happy with it. After switching from the bridge only position, it can seem to be "darker" at first. But, that's what it's supposed to sound like. The mid position (neck and bridge) is great, though. I had the foresight to get a 500K vol pot, which probably helped.

I would recommend this particular high-quality pickup.

Wanted to add: the tone of the Little Mini-Crunchy is as described on the GFS website: " .. round and warm ..". So, it brought more celar low-end and great upper-neck blues tones.
        Greg

Comment

Can't attest to this model, but the one I'm using now (Epi) has a more balanced sound than a PAF style. It's less prominent in the mids than my Burstbucker and a lot smoother.
          Clean, it's articulate with good overtones. Not quite P90-ish but it has some of that piano quality to it.
          Overdriven it sounds more like a regular humbucker, but, again, more balanced from high to low. Even with gain, you can still pick out individual notes in a chord.
          Maybe a little thinner than a regular humbucker but clear and articulate are the words I'd use to describe them.
          I like them a lot. Compared to a Duncan or Gibson mini, my Epi has a bit of the "blanket" syndrome going on. It's not bad but you can hear the difference between the good ones-just like any pickup I guess.
          I'm also interested to know if the GFS is an upgrade from the Epi or a side step.

EG

Comment

In all honesty, GFS minihumbuckers suck.

I've had both the Crunchy and Fat with alnico magnets. They were dark, muddy with no definition at all. No amount of height tweaking or wiring would cure them. They are worse than the stock pups from even the cheapest guitars.

Although I'm a fan of one of GFS's pickups, the Mean 90 and think that's a great buy, the GFS Minis are complete **************** and possibly the worse pup I've ever installed and played.

If you want a mini, save up some cash and according to the sound you're after, get Seymour Duncan Antiquities or SM3. Fralins are wonderful too. A set of GFS minis are a waste of $60-$70 bucks.

A good mini will be very articulate amd yes, a bit thinner than a regular HB but clearer as well and still have enough balls.

Comment

I'm also interested to know if the GFS is an upgrade from the Epi or a side step.

EG

Side step? It would be more like falling down a flight of steps! On that beautiful guitar of yours, I'd suggest going with something off the top shelf.

Comment

EG

Comment

EG

Yeah. They are that bad. :cry:

Too bad. I had liked the Mean 90s so much I wanted to buy many of their other models but after the Minis, I've stayed away from GFS pickups ever since.

Comment

Oh dear! Well I'm glad at least that minis are a bit clearer and less middy than full buckers as that is exactly what i'm looking for

Was hoping the GFS minis would be decent as it's a cheap (but good) guitar and i'm on a pretty tight budget

Comment

The Kent Armstrong minis are around $65. Maybe worth a look.
                      I just worked a deal to have mine rewound custom. :thu:

EG

Comment

Is Bryan rewinding it?

Comment

I used the GFS Vintage Split Humbuckers in a Tele that I built for my son and I really like the sound. They seem (to my ears) clear, balanced and very articulate. Full-bodied but brighter than a PAF-type, they really do what Jay says they should do. If I build another Tele for myself I may use them again.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">Telecasters!!!!!!!<br />
                          <br />
                          &quot;Wherever you go, there you are.&quot;<br />
                          <br />
                          Gear:<br />
                          Squier Tele (MIK)with extras<br />
                          Squier Strat (MIJ) with extras<br />
                          Gold-Top Tele-parts-o-caster - now belongs to my son<br />
                          SX Tele - vintage greenish-white<br />
                          Vox AD50VT<br />
                          Zoom GFX-1 and some old pedals<br />
                          -Daddy-O, Compressor, Ibanez Analog Delay(old) etc.</div>

Comment

The Kent Armstrong minis are around $65. Maybe worth a look.
                            I just worked a deal to have mine rewound custom. :thu:

EG

By the MAN!?! By THE MAN?!? Oh please tell me he'll do that! I'd send him a set by flying burro immediately!!!

Comment

Was hoping the GFS minis would be decent as it's a cheap (but good) guitar and i'm on a pretty tight budget

Here's a YouTube link:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEyxq_ZRuwQ

demoing the GFS mini-humbucker I was talking about.

I don't know what **************** sounds like except when it makes a splash, but I and others are happy with that particular model. You wouldn't be thinking GFS if you weren't interested in a lower-cost PU, so it's hard to go wrong.

(Wait: a "PU" that "sounds like ****************"! I get it now.)

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X