Bedroom Recording

A Happy Crowd

• Members

awesome!  that cassette 4-track brings back memories.  when i used to work retail, i had different shifts throughout the week and my favorite was going in at 2pm and working until close because i'd have the apartment to myself and would track ideas and write songs on my TASCAM 4-track all morning.  those were great days, even if 99% of the stuff was {censored}e.

• Members

The wife had to work, so I got the place to myself for the day and tried to make the most of it.

I'd been meaning to upgrade to a digital 8-track recorder, but then my original 4-track died on me just before I had a chance to mix down the last few songs I recorded with it. Long story short*, I ended going on Ebay to find a replacement 4-track and the one I bought came with a bunch of blank tapes. Now I figure I may as well get some use out of this 4-track and all of those tapes before I go out and buy a new recorder.

There is a part of me which still likes recording to tape, though.

* My friend has the identical 4-track which she no longer uses and I hoped to borrow hers, but she didn't know what she did with it. So I turned to Ebay next and, sure enough, she found hers just after I pulled the trigger.

• Members

I too used a four track cassette recorder in the old days. Mine was a Yamaha. It had features that were already an entry to recording techniques and it was an exciting piece of gear to use in those days. It's still here somewhere in the attic but it has the american 110V power so it would fry if I plugged it here with 220V. :)

I still have cassettes with stuff recorded across the whole width of the tape at half speed. lol

• Members

very cool

i remember when i got my first tascam 4 track... i was over the moon... i've owned a few over time

i have to say though, these days unless the convenience of a stand alone recorder is what you're after, i think you're better off going down the computer path... getting something like reaper and a cheapish interface will give you more value for money imo

• Members

Some cassettey goodness from the archives:

2009 - Live Jam recorded on a Yamaha 4-Track, Digitech RP100 (with built-in 'drum machine') plugged direct into tracks 1&2, single vocal mic into track 3.

https://soundcloud.com/vex-effigy/hard-to-leave

2002 - Full live band recorded on a Fostex 4-track, drums mic'd into seperate mixer & fed into track 1, guitar & bass mic'd to tracks 2&3, vocal mic direct into track 4 (we ran out of leads to try and feed the vocals into the PA so the poor bastard couldn't hear what he was singing!)

https://soundcloud.com/spidros1/diddle-um

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Great thread here!

I've been searching out music recorded in bedrooms around the world - mostly on portastudios - during the 80s (only electronica mind - no guitars) and collating it here:

http://bedroomcassettemasters.bandcamp.com/

First 30 track compilation is still FREE if any of you chaps are into this.

I'm putting together volume Three at the moment but would love to hear from any of you who woud like to get involved - we have a fb page here.

No-one ever mentions the Studiomaster Studio 4 anymore - now that was a four-track!

Archived